In North Carolina, family members can be paid for in-home care of a family member or loved one via three options. First, Medicaid-eligible seniors who need nursing home level care can receive help through the Community Alternative Program for Disabled Adults. The state also offers In-Home Aide Services through the Department of Health for seniors who need in-home care, but who are not using Medicaid to pay for it. Finally, qualified veterans can use their Aid and Attendance pension to pay a family caregiver who is not their spouse.

Qualifications for Family Caregiver Programs

The Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults is offered to any senior who has a disability that requires a nursing facility level of care, but who wishes to remain at home. The senior must also meet the income and age guidelines to qualify for Medicaid. Under the consumer-direction option of the CAP/DA Medicaid program, seniors can choose their personal care services, and this includes hiring a family member to provide care. 

The In-Home Aide Program is available to North Carolina seniors aged 60 and older who need assistance with daily living activities, but not nursing home level care. Family members must be trained as in-home aides to get hired through this program. The VA Aid and Attendance program is available to qualified veterans who require care for daily activities and are homebound due to a disability or lost eyesight. It allows the veteran to pay for care from any family caregiver except their spouse.

How to Apply

To apply for the CAP/DA Medicaid program, seniors must first apply for Medicaid. After getting approved, the senior must be assessed for long-term care needs. If it’s determined that they need long-term care, their medical provider can send a referral to the CAP/DA program. For the In-Home Aide Program, seniors can call 919-855-3400 to learn more about the program. The VA Aid and Attendance program is offered through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and seniors can apply through their local VA office.