Brook Ridge Retirement Community

Reviews of Brook Ridge Retirement Community

Independent Living Reviews for Brook Ridge Retirement Community

July 29, 2018

By Esmeralda

I had a quick tour of Brook Ridge because the person who was supposed to give me the tour was not available. The facilities were kind of unsafe because it's like a high tower, and for people who have a lot of medical conditions, that would be a problem. The rooms were too cramped, and the staff was not very nice.

September 14, 2017

By G.George

First, I must say that most of the employees were very nice. I stayed at Brook Ridge for about a month. I was shocked to find that many of the amenities were almost nonexistent. The so-called exercise area was an alcove with about 4 machines stuffed in it, not all of them working. The so-called "computer area" was an old computer, missing parts, not connected, crammed against the wall in the small billiards area. Yet the banner inside the front door claimed a "computer center." The food was often quite awful. There were a few good meals during my 30 days, but the largest percentage were dismal. The new cheap carpet & construction leftovers in the remodeled apartment gave me burning eyes, nose headaches. The A/C unit is only in the living room and down low under the window, which blows in your face. Plus if you want it comfortable in the bedroom you must freeze out the living room. The transportation to doctor appointments, etc. turned out to be only available 2 mornings a week, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Good luck getting your appointment to fit that schedule. The laundry rooms had old machines that the cleaning staff, when washing the linens, plus some paid washing for residents, did not clean out the dryer lint, there would be at least 4 to 5 loads worth built up every time you used them, which is a terrible fire hazard. The "free Wi-Fi in the common area" hardly ever worked. Many of the independent living residents actually needed to be in the new advanced care building. (Actually I stayed there a few days prior to moving into a renovated apartment in the independent building. The facilities, the food, many things, were quite superior to the independent building.) And the photos on this website are all of the nicer advanced care building, not the independent living building.

August 21, 2017

By George

I have a veteran in Brook Ridge in Pharr. It's excellent. Most of the communities cost $2,500 a month and this one is only $1,195, and it's a beautiful, nice community. The rooms are excellent. There are 63 residents who are all being taken care of very well. They have exercise, dominoes, cards, a movie theater, places to do puzzles, and physical therapy every day. They have Sunday school at 10:30 on Sunday morning, and at 4:30 p.m., the minister from the local church comes down and does a church service. Their meals are wonderful, and there's three meals a day. They also have a dietitian. If they don't like what is being served, there's an alternate meal. They have a shuttle service; on Monday and Wednesday, they take anybody who needs to go to Wal-Mart or Target, and on Tuesday and Thursday, they take any veteran who needs to go to the VA. Any day of the week, anybody can use the shuttle for a doctor's appointment. They pay $10 a week to have all of their clothes washed, dried, and brought back. They pick clothes up on Thursday to wash them, and on Friday, they bring them back.

December 13, 2016

By Fred467844

Brook Ridge was fantastic. The staff was great. They're very friendly people. They will do anything to go out of the way for you. Food was very good. The place has everything. You don't have to have anything but furniture and that's it. They have a barber on staff and a beautician on staff. They have transportation for you in anyway you need to go. I was really impressed with them. To me, the money is worth it. The problem is the money I don't have. If I had it, I would have been there already.

November 01, 2016

By Leticia668651

Brook Ridge's front desk was nice, but the manager took a little bit longer to contact me. I was interested in it because it was a little bit cheaper. It's nice but not fancy. They didn't give me enough information about it though. There should be people there to advice, return calls, and train staff to give more information and be more empathetic with people who are looking for something and reach people within 48 hours. That would be great.

August 15, 2016

By Concerned Friend385140

I liked Brook Ridge. It was very clean and nice. We went there for the 4th of July celebration and had hotdogs that were cooked on gas grills, so it tasted like gas to me. I had been there before, and the meals tasted good. It was a pretty place, very open, and had light-colored paint. I saw the assisted living part of it, The Gardens at Brook Ridge, which was located at the back of the independent living, and it was also nice.

March 31, 2016

By Jaime and Myrna

Brook Ridge's apartments were better than others we've seen. The place was nice and everything. The lady who attended to us was very attentive and very courteous. She took us around and showed us everything.

January 26, 2016

Everybody was real friendly at Brook Ridge. I had no problems. Everything was clean, neat, and very impressive. Price wise, it seemed reasonable. I don't think anything was going on at the time of my visit, but we saw a board of what the activities were available including when they were going on. The dining area, and the facilities looked really nice. There was a place for everybody to stay, go outside to sit, and relax. It was a very nice situation.

February 26, 2015

By Edward22

I think Brook Ridge is a very good facility because for one thing, they have independent living there, they have a new portion that they built where they have assisted living, and they also have memory care. What they offered when I was initially looking was they have an already furnished respite apartment. In my case, my mother is 87, so when my wife travels, we would like to have her in a safe place; they only charge $75 a night for meals and everything, and that was pretty reasonable. We went over there, and we had lunch. They have their own chef. Mom goes over now because they offer bingo and special events like Mardi Gras. It’s very clean. They have one property manager that lives there 24 hours a day. We feel comfortable leaving my mom there while we travel. I think they offer something for everyone. My mom likes the place. It’s a very affordable facility.

We are glad you and your mother have been experienced our warm and caring community and noticed some of the many benefits of all-inclusive living at Brook Ridge. Along with our outstanding food program, social events and mixers and dedicated staff available 24/7, you can have the peace of mind your loved one is both happy and safe, and our number one priority. Please let us know if there is anything we can ever do to improve yours or your mother’s expectations.

October 24, 2014

Brook Ridge is really good. It has assisted living and independent living. I liked everything they have there, but I don’t have the money. Everything was perfect. They have everything you need, three meals a day, and they have all kinds of activities. It is a very pretty place, there are outdoor gardens that are very nice, and they’re putting in a pool. Inside, everything is very clean, and they have a lot of people there that live on the property to help you.

Costs for Brook Ridge Retirement Community

• Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Computer Class

About Brook Ridge Retirement Community

Nestled in the beautiful Rio Grande Valley, Brook Ridge is an all-inclusive, active retirement community serving seniors in the greater McAllen area. Our community is centrally located near shopping, restaurants, hospitals, the McAllen airport and the Mexican border. Se habla Español!

As a Sunshine Retirement Living Community, Brook Ridge shares the same mission to be a preferred senior living provider through offering choice, value and independence to each of our valued residents.

Featured Amenities

Residents of our community enjoy a number of premium on-site amenities from complimentary laundry facilities and free Wi-Fi in the common areas to on-site beauty salon services and a charming gazebo that is perfect for outdoor BBQs. We also boast a resident computer center and large fitness center.

There is never a dull moment at Brook Ridge with our full schedule of community events and activities. From daily exercise classes to games to movie screenings, there is always something fun and exciting to do at our community. We even provide free transportation to and from local outings and events.

Available Services

As part of our all-inclusive lifestyle, each resident enjoys the convenience of his or her own personal housekeeper who cleans, vacuums, dusts and changes the linens in each apartment every week. To ensure our seniors are receiving everything they need, we employ community managers who live right on site and make themselves available to residents day and night.

We provide daily meal service with breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily in our formal dining room. All dishes are prepared fresh on site by our very own chefs using tasty, yet healthy, ingredients. Residents are encouraged to provide feedback and contribute their own favorite recipes.

At Brook Ridge, we pride ourselves on offering seniors the amenities and services that allow them to live life the way they’ve always wanted.

Ask about our Sunshine Travel Program - Our unique travel program gives you the chance to explore 16 cities in 7 states. Have a Question, Concern or Comment? Welcome to your Sunshine Community, Meet Mr. Sunshine. Ask about our unique Sunshine Wellness Program

Map of Brook Ridge Retirement Community