30 Assisted Living Facilities near Topton, PA
There are 30 Assisted Living Facilities in the Topton area, with 2 in Topton and 28 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Topton is $4,650 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Fleetwood with an average starting cost of $1,700.
To help you with your search, browse the 164 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Topton. Better rated regions include Fleetwood with an average rating of 3.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Topton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Topton, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Topton
Topton was originally a swampy area that later became a mining town when iron was discovered under farms. The borough was officially created in 1876, and almost 150 years later, a little more than 2,000 people call this place home. Aging residents can move into one of two assisted living facilities within the borough. Another 30 are located in around the area as well as in cities like Reading and Boyertown.
Pennsylvania's assisted living facilities are divided into two categories: assisted living residences or adult care homes. These are monitored and licensed by the Department of Aging and the Department of Public Welfare.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Topton
- The air quality in Topton could be a concern for area seniors. While the American Lung Association gave it a C rating when it comes to 24-hour particle pollution levels, Berks County got a failing grade in the ozone category.
- Seniors who are living on a fixed income may find that they end up with more money in their budgets thanks to Pennsylvania's tax policies when it comes to retirement income. IRAs, 401(k)s and Social Security are exempt from taxes.
- Topton has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Allentown.
- Topton's cost of living is about 3 percent less overall than the average for the rest of the country, but goods and services and healthcare costs run just above average, which could translate to slightly higher assisted living costs.
- Violent crime rates in Topton are almost 67 percent lower than the national average, but when it comes to property crime, Topton is even safer. Property crime is just 28 percent of the national average. This makes the city a relatively safe choice for seniors or their loved ones who may be coming to visit.
- The weather in Topton can be beneficial for seniors who are sensitive to extreme heat. Summer highs usually only reach the low to mid 70s, and winters hover around the freezing mark.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Topton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Topton start around $4,650 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Topton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Topton
For seniors considering the Topton area, the the state of Pennsylvania has a Supplemental Social Security Income program for those who qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Topton
Topton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Topton, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Topton
Topton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.