2 Assisted Living Facilities in Union, MS
Also serving communities of Newton.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Union, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Union, MS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Union
Just east of Jackson, Mississippi, sits Union, a historic town with a population of 2,053, 19.9% of whom are seniors 65 or older. There are two assisted living facilities in Union that offer seniors private rooms and 24-hour assistance with activities of daily living, making this an ideal place for older adults who want to settle in a small community. Both facilities, as well as all other assisted living facilities in Mississippi, are regulated and licensed by the Division of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Union
- Union is typically very warm, with averages of around 92 degrees in the summer months. Although the city can experience quite a bit of rain, seniors don't have to worry about snow, since the average snowfall during the year is 0.
- The cost of living in Union is 16.7% lower than the national average. One of the biggest perks of living in Union is the cost of housing. The average cost of housing is 45% lower than the rest of the nation, so seniors and their families may have more money for assisted living expenses.
- Union's crime rate is higher than both the state and national averages. Violent crimes average 3.2% more than the nation and 8% more than the state, and property crimes average 10% higher than the state and 15.3% higher than the nation's average.
- The Union area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Laird Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation is not offered in Union. Seniors may be able to take advantage of local transportation services offered by the assisted living facilities in the area.
- Mississippi is very tax-friendly towards seniors. It exempts retirement income from taxation, including public and private pension incomes.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Union
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Union start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Union and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Union
The Mississippi Division of Medicaid offers numerous resources for those who need financial assistance for assisted living, including enrollment in Long Term Care programs and Home and Community Based Services (HCBS). Through these programs, seniors can apply for assisted living waivers or reimbursement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Union
Union and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Union, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Union
Union-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.