3 Assisted Living Facilities near Calumet, MI
Also serving communities of Hubbell, Hubbell, Houghton, Covington.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Calumet area, with 2 in Calumet and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Calumet is $4,732 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Calumet. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Calumet 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Calumet, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Calumet, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Calumet
Calumet is a small charter township on the north shore of Michigan's western Upper Peninsula. Approximately 19% of Calumet's populations of 6,200 people are seniors aged 65 and over. The geographically compact area encompassed by the town limits holds four assisted living facilities where local seniors can live independently with help performing normal activities of daily living (ADLs), such as personal care and meal preparation. Though Michigan doesn't require all of its residential senior communities to carry a license to operate, Calumet's assisted living facilities are regulated through the Department of Human Services in the state capital of Lansing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Calumet
- The weather in Calumet can get cold for seniors, though summers are generally mild. Summer highs in Calumet average 82 degrees, while winter lows plunge to an average of just 9. Cold temperatures like these, and proximity to the lake, bring up to 64 inches of snow a year, in addition to the 31 inches of rain that fall in summer.
- The cost of living in Calumet is low by national standards, with local costs in all categories averaging just 75% of the national average. Seniors pay roughly 1% more for healthcare in Calumet than the average national cost.
- Crime rates in Calumet are about 20% lower than the national average for similar-sized townships. Violent crime is even less common than property crimes here, and seniors in Calumet can generally enjoy a quiet and safe outdoor life in the town.
- Houghton Public Transit provides ADA-compliant transportation throughout the Calumet and Houghton area of the western Upper Peninsula. Punch cards can be purchased at any transit office, and seniors can schedule rides with a phone call at least 24 hours in advance.
- The Calumet area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Calumet has an array of community resources for seniors, including Elder Law of Michigan, an organization that provides seniors in Calumet with advice and assistance with legal issues affecting aging citizens, such as advance directives and power of attorney documents, as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Calumet
Average Monthly Costs
City in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Calumet start around $4,732 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Calumet and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Calumet
Seniors in Calumet who meet income guidelines can apply for help with the cost of assisted living from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. Enrollment in SSI automatically qualifies seniors in Calumet for Medicaid, and the state of Michigan adds a quarterly premium to federal SSI benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Calumet
Calumet and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Calumet, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Calumet
Calumet-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Calumet, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Calumet
Review of Gardenview Assisted Living & Memory Care
Gardenview was nice, but I think a little bit more quiet. My father likes more activity, so from what I could see what is available, I don't think he would be as happy over there. The staff members... Read more