3 Assisted Living Facilities near Mattoon, IL
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mattoon area, with 2 in Mattoon and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mattoon is $3,512 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Charleston with an average starting cost of $3,075.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mattoon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mattoon 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mattoon, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mattoon, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mattoon
Mattoon, Illinois, was named after William Mattoon, one of the builders of the Terre Haute and Alton Railroad. Today, the city is known as the Bagel Capital of the World, a title that is celebrated each summer with the annual bagel fest, something area seniors might enjoy attending. Seniors may also like to visit the Meadowview Golf Course or the Douglas-Hart Nature Center.
The city’s senior population of 3,242 makes up 17.5% of the 18,555 total residents, and for those in need of help with the activities of daily living, there are two assisted living facilities in the city.
In Mattoon, and in all of Illinois, assisted living facilities are called assisted living establishments, shared housing establishments, sheltered care facilities or supportive living facilities, depending on the number of residents they serve and the level of care provided. All of these facility types are licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mattoon
- Illinois does not tax Social Security income, retirement savings account withdrawals or pensions, which might be of interest to low-income seniors wishing to move to Mattoon.
- The Mattoon area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Mattoon’s cost of living is 73.2, considerably lower than both the Illinois average of 101.5 and the national average of 100, which might be of interest to seniors who are looking for an affordable city in which to retire.
- Seniors in Mattoon can feel safe whether traveling the city or sitting at home. Matton's violent crime rate is 17.7, and the property crime rate is 29.5, both of which are lower than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Seniors with cardiovascular or respiratory issues who are looking for a city with clean air to retire in might find that Mattoon is an ideal location. On a 100-point scale where lower numbers indicate poorer air quality, the city has a score of 73, 15 points higher than the national average of 58.
- Mattoon has summer highs of 86 degrees and winter lows that rarely drop below 20. With 201 sunny days each year, only four less than the national average of 205, this city may be an ideal location for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mattoon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Mattoon start around $3,512 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mattoon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mattoon
Seniors living in Mattoon who need help paying for their assisted living costs may be able to get financial assistance from Illinois’ Medicaid program through the HCBS Waiver for Supportive Living Facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mattoon
Mattoon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mattoon, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mattoon
Mattoon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mattoon
Review of Brookstone of Mattoon North
Mom moved into Brookstone in Mattoon North. The place is very nice. She gets three meals a day, and they do her laundry, as well as clean her room. They do crafts. I suggested they do a group study... Read more