(800) 973-1540

My wife divorced a veteran in 1966. Is she still eligible for benefits?

My wife was previously married to a veteran who served in World War 2 and Korea. She divorced him in 1966. Is she still eligible for benefits?

Caring.com User - Rita Files
Rita Files, LPN, VSR, a nationally recognized expert on the elderly, has more than 30 years of experience in the health care industry, with...
Rita Files answered...

Your wife would not be eligible to apply for VA benefits under her ex-husband. A divorce and subsequent remarriage terminates the eligibility of a non-veteran spouse for veterans' benefits because this person no longer meets the definition of spouse.

I have been married for 38 years. My husband retired military wants a divorce He receives va disability pay will his benefit go down. and if he remarries are they reinstated for him

writergrrrl answered...

I am a widow of a veteran who served in Korea. He passed away 10 years ago, and I receive a small widow's pension. His death was considered not service connected. I've been trying to find any additional kind of monetary help for me through the VA because I now have stage 4 breast cancer and need help. Do you know anything in the VA that helps someone like me? Thank you.

Also people check with Social Security...check if you qualify for any portion of their benefits as well as VA.

My ex- husband is Viet Nam Vet. He remarried but I didn't. We had 3 children now grown. Am I or my children in do of any of his benifits? Also he had a life insurance policy,while in the service and while we were married. BellsnavyLi

Emily M. answered...

Hi anonymous, If you'd like to post your own question, you can do so in our Ask & Answer section here: ( https://www.caring.com/questions/new ). Take care. -- Emily | Community Manager

Rick717 answered...

No, neither her or you (or any ex-spouse to answer all the questions here) are eligible to receive the veterans benefits after divorce. You did not serve as a member of the military, therefore you are not entitled to reap the benefits of being a veteran. Make sense? You have to earn what you get. Hope this helped.

Rick, that is not a true statement, I was married for 25 years to an active duty USAF member, we divorced after 25 years of marriage and I feel under the 20/20 rule. I recieve half his retirement, and tri care till I am 65. If I remarry it ends http://www.military-divorce-guide.com/former-spouse-military-benefits/202020-and-202015-benefits.htm

My mother was able to get my dad's (who is deceased) benefits, called "Aide and Attendance" from The Department of Veterans affairs. All we needed was his discharge papers.

Bethsquire answered...

Rick, your answer is incorrect, as well as insulting. While a military spouse may not serve directly, they make great sacrifices to support the servicemember. A military spouse surrenders their choice of where to live and when to move, endures the many hardships and stresses that military life and deployments put on families, tends to the physical and mental injuries of the servicemember, and they must re-start their careers each time they PCS. This is particularly difficult for spouses whose careers require state-level licensing, such as lawyers. Military spouses and children do earn the many benefits they are afforded and any suggestion otherwise is ill-informed and insensitive.