5 Assisted Living Facilities in Suffolk City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Suffolk City is $4,295 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Chesapeake City with an average starting cost of $3,764.
To help you with your search, browse the 18 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Suffolk City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Suffolk City 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Franklin City with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Suffolk City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Suffolk
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Suffolk City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Suffolk City
Historic Suffolk was originally occupied by Nansemond Native Americans before it was colonized by the English in 1742 and officially incorporated as a town in the late 1800s. In addition to its rich history, Suffolk is also known as the largest city in Virginia by land area, occupying 429 square miles, and is home to 91,185 people, 13.4% of whom are seniors.
Residents who need help with activities of daily living can find support from the five assisted living homes nearby. These facilities are officially known in Suffolk, as they are throughout the entire state, as Assisted Living Facilities, and are regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Suffolk City
- Suffolk is a fairly expensive place to live, with an average cost of living that is 12.2% above the national average. Seniors can expect to pay the most for housing, which is 22.9% more expensive than elsewhere in the U.S., and for transportation, which costs 22.6% more.
- The weather in Suffolk is rainier than average, with 48 inches of rain per year compared to a national average of 38 inches. The city does not receive much snow, with an average of just 5 inches per year, which is good news for seniors who want to avoid harsh winter weather.
- Seniors concerned about safety should be aware that the rate of property crime in Suffolk is 3.5% higher than the national average with a rating of 38.9 out of 100. Violent crime, on the other hand, is relatively low with a score of 17.7 out of 100, which is 5% lower than the U.S. average.
- Suffolk has a robust public transportation network that lets seniors ride its bus lines for a reduced fare.
- Seniors in Suffolk benefit from Virginia's tax breaks for retirement wealth. The state charges just partial tax on withdrawals from retirement accounts, and also only partially taxes private and public pension income. Virginia does not levy any tax on Social Security and does not have an inheritance or estate tax.
- The Suffolk area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Sentara Obici Hospital in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Suffolk City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Suffolk City start around $4,295 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Suffolk City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Suffolk City
Suffolk seniors who need help paying for assisted living services can apply for the Auxiliary Grant, which provides eligible Virginia residents with a monthly subsidy that is paid directly to their assisted living provider.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Suffolk City
Suffolk City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Suffolk City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Suffolk City
Suffolk City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Suffolk City, VA
Assisted Living near Suffolk City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Suffolk City
Review of Harmony at Harbour View
I had a wonderful experience at the Harmony at Harbour View. The staff was very knowledgeable, very professional, very polite, and very helpful. It's very convenient and easy to get around. The cle... Read more
Review of Harmony at Harbour View
I went to Harmony at Harbour View. It was a great, fantastic visit. There were two ladies that really did the tour, one was assisting the other until she was free to join us, but it was a beautiful... Read more
Review of Lake Prince Woods
I visited friends in Lake Prince Woods. I would describe it as excellent. In terms of activities, they have shows and dances. I was able to eat there and it was very good. Read more