5 Assisted Living Facilities in Suffolk City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Suffolk City is $3,804 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Chesapeake City with an average starting cost of $3,727.
To help you with your search, browse the 14 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Suffolk City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Suffolk City 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Suffolk City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Suffolk
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Suffolk City
With miles of waterfront property and numerous outdoor recreational opportunities, Suffolk City attracts many active seniors. People aged 65 and over make up 13.4% of the population here, and many of them live at the five assisted living communities located within the city limits. These communities in Suffolk City and other parts of the state are officially recognized by the state of Virginia as Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs). They are licensed and regulated by the state's Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Suffolk City
- While winter in Suffolk City can be quite cold, with average lows in January reaching 30 degrees, warm weather throughout much of the year provides many opportunities for outdoor activity. In summer, many seniors enjoy biking or walking along the trails in the Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.
- The American Lung Association gives Suffolk City a B for ozone pollution. This means there are none to very few days per year where the ozone levels in the city are dangerous. Seniors who like to go outdoors should still check the daily air quality.
- The cost of living in Suffolk City is 12.2% lower than the national average of 100 and 1.6 points below the Virginia average of 113.8. Seniors looking for affordable living in the state may find Suffolk an attractive location.
- To make life more affordable for seniors in Suffolk City, the state of Virginia has friendly tax policies. There is no state income tax on all Social Security income, and there is a $12,000 deduction for retirement income generated from other sources.
- The Suffolk City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sentara Obici Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Suffolk City has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Program, an organization that organizes a wide range of events for older adults throughout the year as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Suffolk City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Suffolk City start around $3,804 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Suffolk City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Suffolk City
Seniors in Suffolk City who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) may be eligible for the Auxiliary Grants (AG) program. This is a monthly payment that can be used directly to pay for the costs of living at a licensed assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Suffolk City
Suffolk City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Suffolk City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Suffolk City
Suffolk City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Suffolk City, VA
Assisted Living near Suffolk City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Suffolk City
Review of Bickford of Suffolk
The director of Bickford of Suffolk took us on a tour. The rooms were a nice size. We walked around the whole community. Some of the residents were out in the common area. They also have an Alzheim... Read more
Review of Harmony at Harbour View
I love The Crossings at Harbour View. I was very impressed with it. It was very clean, and they had apartment type set-ups. You can get 1-, 2-, or 3-bedrooms. The levels of care are separated by fl... Read more
Review of Bickford of Suffolk
Bickford of Suffolk was outstanding, but it was pricey. Everyone seemed happy and willing to help. They did things on a schedule, and it was a locked down facility. They did an outstanding job with... Read more