12 Assisted Living Facilities in Lynchburg City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Lynchburg City is $3,176 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Bedford County with an average starting cost of $2,697.
To help you with your search, browse the 78 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lynchburg City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lynchburg City 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bedford County with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lynchburg City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Lynchburg
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lynchburg City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lynchburg City
Lynchburg is located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is named for its founder, John Lynch. In 1757, Lynch, at 17 years old, started a ferry service across the James River. A little over 100 years later, a system of public schools was established in Lynchburg. The schools' superintendent was a man named Abram Frederick Biggers, who was the great-grandson of John Lynch. Today, this city has over 82,000 residents and a large senior community that makes up 14% of the population.
Seniors who are looking for assisted living facilities in central Virginia have a dozen facilities to choose from in Lynchburg. These facilities, as with all assisted living facilities in the state, are governed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lynchburg City
- July highs in Lynchburg reach an average of 85.7 degrees, making it among the cooler cities in the state, and January lows are around 25 degrees. The region receives just 14 inches of annual snowfall. Seniors may want to seek out an assisted living facility that provides individual climate control to ensure their year-round comfort.
- The overall cost of living in Lynchburg is about 12% below the national average and roughly 25% below the statewide average, which may make it a good option for seniors seeking out a budget-friendly city for their retirement.
- Lynchburg seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits. While other types of retirement income are taxable, retirees may claim a large tax deduction to minimize the expense and leave more money in their budget for local assisted living expenses.
- The Lynchburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Centra Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transit in Lynchburg is provided by the Greater Lynchburg Transit Company. GLTC operates over a dozen fixed routes throughout the city, which seniors age 65 and over can ride for half-fare.
- Lynchburg has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Central Virginia Alliance for Community Living, an organization that provides information on mobility assistance programs and other local resources, as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lynchburg City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Lynchburg City start around $3,176 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lynchburg City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lynchburg City
Seniors who meet income guidelines may have assisted living services in Lynchburg paid for by the state's Auxiliary Grant.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lynchburg City
Lynchburg City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lynchburg City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lynchburg City
Lynchburg City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Lynchburg City, VA
Assisted Living near Lynchburg City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lynchburg City
Review of The Elms of Lynchburg
Had a good friend that lived there for 8 months she complained about the food and short staffed and she hated it there and clothes were missing and I seen they didn’t have there mask on when they w... Read more
Review of Heritage Green Assisted Living and Memory Care
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Please do not send anyone you love and care about to this facility! My 84 year old mother had to call 911 to get someone to look after her last night. She called f... Read more
Review of Heritage Green Assisted Living and Memory Care
Wonderful assisted living and memory care offered! The staff is outstanding and goes over and beyond. My aunt and step-mom were there. One on memory care, one assisted living. Both buildings have ... Read more