6 Assisted Living Facilities in Harrisonburg City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Harrisonburg City is $4,338 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,595. Cheaper nearby regions include Rockingham County with an average starting cost of $2,825.
To help you with your search, browse the 34 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Harrisonburg City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Harrisonburg City 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Rockingham County with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Harrisonburg City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Harrisonburg
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Harrisonburg City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Harrisonburg City
Known by a variety of nicknames, including Rocktown and the Friendly City, Harrisonburg is a culturally-rich metropolis located in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley region. The city has a population of more than 54,000 residents, around 9% of whom are aged 65 and older, and may be looking to transition to a care residence that offers help with activities of daily living.
Across the state, including Harrisonburg, these residences are called assisted living facilities (ALFs) and are licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services. There are 26 ALFs in Harrisonburg and its neighboring communities offering two levels of care: residential living care and assisted living care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Harrisonburg City
- Harrisonburg has an array of community resources for seniors, including the 50 and Wiser program, an organization that offers fitness and mind-body classes, creative learning opportunities and social events to keep seniors active and engaged in the community, as well as one senior center.
- The Harrisonburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Sentara RMH Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors can feel comfortable and safe in Harrisonburg, knowing that the city has a very low rate of violent crime. It receives a rating of 13.3 out of 100, which is far lower than the U.S. national average of 22.7.
- Measured on a scale from 1 to 100, with 100 being the best, the air quality in Harrisonburg is rated 52, lower than the U.S. national average of 58. This may be something for seniors with existing respiratory conditions to keep in mind.
- Compared to the average Virginia city, Harrisonburg has a lower overall cost of living and could be an economical choice for seniors on a fixed income. It receives an index rating of 98.5, compared to the statewide average of 113.8.
- Rich in history, Harrisonburg has a wide variety of arts and cultural venues, historic sites and unique local spots for seniors to enjoy. Some favorites include the Harrisonburg Farmers' Market, Court Square Theater and the Virginia Quilt Museum.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Harrisonburg City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Harrisonburg City start around $4,338 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Harrisonburg City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Harrisonburg City
Seniors in Harrisonburg, especially those living on a low income, are eligible to receive financial assistance to help cover the cost of an ALF through several state-sponsored programs. These include a statewide Supplemental Security Income program that pays benefits to seniors with financial limitations, as well as the Auxiliary Grant Program to supplement the cost of service at an adult care residence or an adult family care home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Harrisonburg City
Harrisonburg City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Harrisonburg City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Harrisonburg City
Harrisonburg City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Harrisonburg City, VA
Assisted Living near Harrisonburg City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Harrisonburg City
Review of Oak Lea Nsg Home
I would like to say this is the best their is. I went in after falling over a dinosaur bone well it was really a ham bone and had broken my hip .They were the most caring people and I do not call t... Read more
Review of White Birch Communities
I had a family member living at White birch communities for several years. What I liked most it is owned and operated by one family. There is always a family member ready to help out or answer ques... Read more
Review of Bellaire at Stone Port
The team at Bellaire is incredible, always putting the residents first and operating from yes. Read more