37 Assisted Living Facilities near Hermantown, MN
Also serving communities of Proctor.
There are 37 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hermantown area, with 2 in Hermantown and 35 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 29 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hermantown. Better rated regions include Duluth with an average rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hermantown, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Hermantown, MN
35 Assisted Living Facilities near Hermantown, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hermantown
Although Hermantown, located in northeastern Minnesota at the western mouth of Lake Superior, is rich in historical lure from its past as a sawmill and a slaughterhouse town, the origin of its name is unknown. It was first known as the Town of Herman in 1873 and later became known as the City of Hermantown on December 31, 1975.
The city has a sizable senior population making up 13.9% of its total residents. To help accommodate that population, there are two assisted living facilities within city limits and an additional 35 facilities located in surrounding towns and cities. Minnesota requires that all Class A and Class F, as assisted living facilities in Hermantown and throughout Minnesota are known, register annually with the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hermantown
- Minnesota only partially taxes Social Security benefits, which could be helpful for Hermantown seniors with tight budgets.
- Hermantown has a violent crime rating of 10.3, less than half of the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rating of 54.3, more than 20 points higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors looking to retire in the city may want to ensure that facilities have alarms, locks and cameras in place to keep seniors' property safe.
- The Hermantown area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Duluth.
- Seniors with respiratory issues who are looking for a city with good air quality to retire in may find it in Hermantown. On a scale where higher numbers mean better air quality, the city has an air quality score of 83 out of 100, almost 30 points higher than the national average of 58.
- The overall cost of living in Hermantown is higher than the national average of 100 at 104.3 but still lower than the Minnesota average of 106.3, which is driven primarily by housing costs. Seniors can expect to pay less for health care, groceries and transportation, which might make the city more affordable for seniors with restrictive budgets.
- Hermantown has summer highs of 78 degrees and winter lows that rarely drop below 1 degree. The city gets 32 inches of rain and 73 inches of snow annually, which might pose a risk for seniors who rely on mobility aids to get around.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hermantown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Hermantown start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hermantown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hermantown
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hermantown
Hermantown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hermantown, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hermantown
Hermantown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.