2 Assisted Living Facilities in Floodwood, MN
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Floodwood, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Floodwood
Floodwood is located just 45 miles west of Duluth and provides a variety of amenities for seniors who enjoy outdoor recreation. It is home to snowmobile trails, the Floodwood River Walk, which is a scenic paved walking trail, and several annual festivals. In spite of its amenities, the city has just over 500 residents, about 100 of whom are aged 65 and over.
In Floodwood, as in the rest of the state, assisted living is not recognized as a distinct category. Instead, facilities register annually as housing with services establishments with the Minnesota Department of Health. Floodwood seniors have two local facilities to choose from.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Floodwood
- Floodwood has a cool climate with year-round temperatures ranging between –3 and 78 degrees. While summers are comfortable and mild, winters are very cold and snowy. Seniors may want to find an assisted living facility that provides activities during the winter months.
- While the combined property and violent crime rate in Floodwood is a little higher than the national average, most crime that takes place here is property-related. Violent crime is rated 10 points lower here than in the average U.S. city, which may provide peace of mind for seniors seeking local assisted living options.
- With an overall cost of living that is about 10% below the national average and 15% below the statewide average, Floodwood may be a good option for seniors who have limited retirement budgets. Housing, utilities and healthcare are affordable here, which may bring down the cost of assisted living.
- The Floodwood area has very low ozone and particle pollution levels, which may make it an attractive option for retirees, particularly those with conditions like heart disease or COPD.
- The Floodwood area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Cloquet.
- Floodwood seniors pay state income tax on all retirement income, including government pensions and Social Security benefits, and Minnesota’s sales tax is among the highest in the country. This may be a consideration for some seniors with tight budgets, particularly those moving from outside of the state.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Floodwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Floodwood start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Floodwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Floodwood
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Floodwood
Floodwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Floodwood, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Floodwood
Floodwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.