3 Assisted Living Facilities near Brookston, MN
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Brookston area, with 2 in Brookston and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brookston, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Brookston, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brookston
Brookston is a small town of about 142 residents. It's located in St. Louis County, Minnesota. At the time the 2010 U.S. Census was performed, the county's population was made up of nearly 20% senior citizens aged 65 and older, which contributes heavily to the demand for long-term care options, such as assisted living facilities.
The Brookston area is home to three assisted living facilities that provide full-time personal care and supervision to seniors who need it. Throughout Minnesota, these facilities are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brookston
- The Brookston area is home to world-class healthcare facilities, including Community Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors who require transportation to and from medical appointments or to run errands can access dial-a-ride options provided by Arrowhead Transit, which serves St. Louis County and several other counties in the area.
- Seniors living in the Brookston area don't need to be concerned about breathing polluted air, as St. Louis County is known to have excellent air quality that's been assigned a passing grade by the American Lung Association.
- Brookston's climate is fairly mild during the summer with average high temperatures in July of only 79 degrees, which is ideal for seniors who are sensitive to hot weather. However, winters are cold and snowy with an average low in January of -1 degree and more than double the national snowfall average.
- Brookston is an affordable option for seniors. The overall cost of living in the town is 11.5% below the national average, mostly thanks to substantially low housing and healthcare costs.
- Seniors can feel safe in Brookston knowing that the violent crime rate is half of the national average, while the property crime rate is only 25.1 on a scale of 1 to 100, where 100 represents high crime. By comparison, the national average property crime rate is quite a bit higher at 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brookston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Brookston start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Brookston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brookston
Seniors in assisted living facilities in Holdingford may be eligible for financial assistance under Minnesota's two Medicaid 1915(c) waiver programs: the Elderly Waiver and the Community Alternative Care Waiver.
Although the cost of room-and-board isn't covered under Medicaid or other state financial assistance programs, Minnesota's Supplemental Aid benefit does provide a monthly cash benefit that can be used to pay for costs that aren't covered by Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brookston
Brookston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Brookston, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brookston
Brookston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.