28 Assisted Living Facilities in Shelby Township, MI
Also serving communities of Utica, Washington.
Sunrise of Shelby Township46471 Hayes Road, Shelby Township, MI
Shelby Crossing Health Campus13794 21 Mile Road, Shelby Township, MI
Shorehaven Senior Living14560 Lakeside Circle, Sterling Heights, MI
Sunrise of Rochester500 East University Drive, Rochester, MI
Brookdale Utica45969 North Pointe Boulevard, Utica, MI
Atina Senior Living1527 John R Road, Rochester Hills, MI
Sunrise of Troy6870 Crooks Road, Troy, MI
Bramham Foster Home38952 Bramham Street, Clinton Township, MI
Hearthstone Communities36688 Briarcliff Rd, Sterling Heights, MI
Genesis Senior Living I2806 Renshaw Drive, Troy, MI
Genesis Senior Living II4906 Danbury Drive, Troy, MI
Genesis Senior Living IV4739 Butler Drive, Troy, MI
Emmanuel Senior Living5589 John R Road, Troy, MI
Bickford of Shelby Township48251 Schoenherr Rd, Shelby, MI
Walnut Creek Living49228 Walnut Creek Dr, Macomb, MI
American House Elmwood Senior Living2251 West Auburn Rd., Rochester Hills, MI
Waltonwood at Lakeside14750 Lakeside Circle, Sterling Heights, MI
American House Lakeside15731 19 Mile Rd., Clinton Township, MI
Rose Senior Living - Clinton Township44003 Partridge Creek Blvd., Clinton Township, MI
Oakmont Sterling41155 Pond View Drive, Sterling Heights, MI
At A Glance
There are 28 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Shelby Township is $3,915 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Shelby Township area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 37 reviews of assisted living communities in the Shelby Township area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 28 assisted living communities in the Shelby Township area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shelby Township
Shelby Township, Michigan, is an affluent suburb located to the north of Detroit with 1,200 acres of public parks, complete with paved walking trails running along the Clinton River. The Yates Cider Mill historic water-powered mill is an especially popular place for tours, easy nature walks, and tasty local treats seniors can enjoy. In a population of nearly 80,000, 17.3 percent are seniors over 65, and there are seven assisted living facilities to serve their needs, with a further 99 assisted living communities in Detriot proper. It is important to note that the State of Michigan does not license assisted living facilities. Instead, facilities that provide a certain level of care or are considered a Home for the Aged or Adult Foster Care Home are required to carry one of several specific licenses if the level of care provided at the facility meets certain criteria as determined by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shelby Township
- Weather in Shelby Township means long, snowy winters and mild summers. January lows dip down in an average of 14, while high temperatures in July are about 81. Seniors who are sensitive to cold will be uncomfortable in the winter.
- Cost of living in Shelby Township is 82, compared to the national average of 100. Grocery costs and health care are close to the national average, but housing costs are about half the U.S. average, which may allow seniors on a budget to stretch their assisted living dollars further.
- Violent crime rates in Shelby Township are on par with the national average, while property crime rates are about two-thirds lower. Seniors may enjoy the safety of this suburb.
- Shelby residents aged 65 and older, or those with a qualifying disability, are eligible for reduced bus fares on the SMART lines. Paratransport and dial-a-ride services may also be available in the outlying areas.
- Shelby Township has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Shelby Township Senior Center, an organization that offers classes and group activities as well as a community loan closet of free medical equipment and rides to appointments, senior center activities, or shopping.
- The Shelby Township area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Henry Ford Macomb Health Center and Beaumont Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shelby Township
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Shelby Township start around $3,915 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shelby Township and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shelby Township
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services offers an MI Choice Waiver Program, designed to help offset the costs of assisted living and nursing home care. Through this program, eligible adults who meet income and asset criteria can receive Medicaid-covered services like those provided by nursing homes but can stay in their own home or another residential setting.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shelby Township
Shelby Township and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shelby Township
Shelby Township-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.