3 Assisted Living Facilities near Kewanee, IL
Also serving communities of Galva, Bradford, Geneseo.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kewanee area, with 2 in Kewanee and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kewanee, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Kewanee, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kewanee
Kewanee is a small city located in northwest Illinois straddling the Mississippi River at the Iowa border. It is known as the Hog Capital of the World because of the huge role that hog farming played in the city’s history. Every year, more than 50,000 visitors come to Kewanee for the Hog Days festival held in the city’s business district. Over the rest of the year, Kewanee has a population of 12,916, with the senior community consisting of 2,119. Seniors interested in assisted living in Kewanee have two facilities to choose from in the city, with one additional facility located in nearby Galva.
In Illinois and in Kewanee, assisted living facilities are governed by the Illinois Department of Public Health and are known as either assisted living establishments, shared housing establishments, sheltered care facilities or supportive living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kewanee
- Kewanee has a violent crime rate of 21.5, only slightly lower than the U.S. average of 22.7, and a property crime rate of 48.3, considerably higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors may want to pay close attention to their surroundings when out and about in the city.
- The Kewanee area is home to world-class medical facilities, including OSF Saint Luke Medical Center and Ahearn & Associates Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The air quality in Kewanee is fair, with a rating of 68 on a scale where 100 represents the places with the best air quality. Kewanee's score is 10 points higher than the national average of 58. Seniors with cardiovascular or respiratory illnesses may find that they breathe easier in this city than in other areas of the state or country.
- Illinois tax laws are senior-friendly; the state doesn't levy taxes on social security income, pensions or retirement savings account withdrawals. Kewanee seniors may find that these tax savings result in more money to allocate toward their facility budgets.
- Kewanee’s cost of living is 76.4, slightly lower than the Illinois average of 101.5 and the U.S. average of 100. However, healthcare expenses are higher than both the state and national averages at 112.4, which might be a consideration for seniors with chronic illnesses.
- Winters are harsh in Kewanee with temperatures dropping down to 13 degrees and accompanied by 27 inches of annual snowfall, which might pose difficulties to seniors who require mobility aids.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kewanee
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Kewanee start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kewanee and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kewanee
The HCBS Waiver for Supportive Living Facilities may help Illinois seniors in Kewanee who need assistance with facility expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kewanee
Kewanee and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kewanee, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kewanee
Kewanee-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.