2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mayo, FL
Also serving communities of Dowling Park, Cross City.
The average cost of assisted living in Mayo is $2,100 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mayo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mayo 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include High Springs with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mayo, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mayo
Mayo, Florida is a small town and the only municipality in Lafayette County. It temporarily changed its name to Miracle Whip for a campaign that added to its beautification funds. Seniors can get out to enjoy the lush landscape and sunshine, as well as choose from a number of Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs), with two in the city limits and two in the nearby area. The state of Florida considers ALFs to be facilities that provide home and health care services to seniors in a homelike setting. Daily activities such as medication management and personal care are provided to residents. The policies of these facilities are regulated by the Florida Health Care Association.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mayo
- Seniors in the Mayo area may have a difficult time running errands or going to appointments due to a lack of public transportation. Some ALFs in the area may offer shuttle services.
- Seniors and their loved ones may feel unsafe in Mayo, due to high crime rates. The violent crime rate is ranked at 69.1 out of 100 (1 being the safest) which is higher than the national average of 31.1. Property crime is ranked at 64.5, which is also higher than the national average of 38.1.
- The cost of living in Mayo is 18.5 percent lower than the national average, which may make it easier for seniors living in this area to build their savings.
- Mayo has a warm climate with average high temperatures of 92 degrees in the summer, and average low temperatures of 40 degrees in the winter. With no annual snowfall, seniors are able to be active all year.
- Seniors can get out and experience refreshing, crystal clear waters at the Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park. History buffs can visit the remains of the Civil War-era steamboat Madison at the Troy Springs State Park, where the boat was scuttled in 1863.
- Mayo has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Jacksonville.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mayo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Mayo start around $2,100 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mayo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mayo
Seniors seeking financial assistance for assisted living costs may be eligible for the state’s Medicaid Managed Care Long-Term Care Program. The state also provides assistance through a non-Medicaid program called the Optional State Supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mayo
Mayo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mayo, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mayo
Mayo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mayo
Review of Oakridge ALF
This facility has been a god sent. Our mother was admitted there recently. The staff is always smiling and interacting with the residents. They truly care about the health and well being of their r... Read more
Review of Oakridge ALF
the care is great, the poor review is for their lack of helpfulness regarding insurance. my mother in law has expended her entire retirement fund and is now going to rely on medicaid. when we fir... Read more
Review of Oakridge ALF
When my elderly mother needed the level of care that we could no longer provide at home, it was time to make a change. This was a serious, and very emotional step for myself and my siblings. For ... Read more