29 Assisted Living Facilities near Montecito, CA
There are 29 Assisted Living Facilities in the Montecito area, with 2 in Montecito and 27 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Montecito is $4,750 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,395. Cheaper nearby regions include Santa Barbara with an average starting cost of $3,948.
To help you with your search, browse the 59 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Montecito. Better rated regions include Santa Barbara with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Montecito, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Montecito, CA
27 Assisted Living Facilities near Montecito, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Montecito
Montecito occupies a slim stretch of beach on the Southern California coastline, just east of Santa Barbara and south of the steeply rising scrub hills. Home to nearly 9,000 people, over 28.5 percent of Montecito's population are seniors aged 65 and over.
The area stretching from Santa Barbara to Carpinteria is home to 29 assisted living facilities, where Montecito seniors who need help to live independently can find safe, comfortable accommodations. Montecito's assisted living facilities, like residential care communities across the state, are licensed and regulated through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Montecito
- The weather in Montecito is typical of the idyllic California coast. Summers here average highs of just 76 degrees in the hottest part of the season, while the very mild winters average only 46 degrees. The Pacific Ocean blows fresh sea breezes over Montecito, bringing over 19 inches of rain with them in a year.
- The cost of living in Montecito can be very high for homeowners, though many expenses for seniors in assisted living can be much lower. The overall cost of living is almost six times the national average, which is high even by the standards of California, where costs average just 69 percent higher than the national average. The median home value in Montecito is well over $3 million. Healthcare, in contrast, is actually close to 12 percent less expensive than average in Montecito.
- Crime rates in Montecito are somewhat higher than the national average, though this is generally a result of high property crime, as opposed to reported violence. Rates for all crimes together in Montecito average 10 percent above the national rate.
- Public transportation in Montecito is largely covered by Route 14 of the Santa Barbara MTD. MTD provides several bus routes around Santa Barbara County, with frequent stops in the half-dozen or so towns on the coastal strip where Montecito is located. Seniors and riders with disabilities qualify for a discount on all MTD lines, and transfers are available to connect with the Los Angeles Metro.
- The Montecito area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Cottage Health and Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Montecito has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Area Agency on Aging Central Coast Commission for Senior Citizens, an organization that helps plann, coordinate and implement programs to promote the health and dignity of Montecito's seniors as well as two senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Montecito
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Montecito start around $4,750 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Montecito and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Montecito
Low-income seniors in Montecito can get help with some or all of the cost of assisted living through California's Medicaid program, known as Medi-Cal.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Montecito
Montecito and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Montecito, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Montecito
Montecito-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.