Good estate planning is simply making sure that the financial assets that are most important to you and your family -- no matter how much or how little -- go to the intended recipients as quickly, cheaply, and easily as possible.
Estate planning involves managing money and property during life and passing it to survivors after death. Know what the basic estate planning documents can do.
The essential issues your parents will address through estate planning
Find helpful probate information, explanation of wills and inheritance, and other helpful elder law resources.
More About Estate Planning
- 10 Things to Consider Including in a Will
- Revocable Living Trusts: A Beginner's Guide
- Estate Plan for Digital Assets
- What to Expect from a Trusts and Estates Attorney
- You're Turning 65: A Must-Do Checklist
- How Does a Generation-Skipping Trust Work?
- Caring Checklist: What to Do When Someone Dies
- How to Stay Respectful (and Legal) in Parents' Estate Planning
- 5 Legal Documents You Need for Your Loved Ones
- 10 Things You Should Know About Your Parents' Finances
- Can a will alone cover my dad's estate planning needs?
- My deceased father is on the title of Grandma's property. How do we proceed with selling the home?
- Should I add my son to the deed if it is in the will that he will get the house?
- Are family corporations a good or bad idea?
- How should my father balance estate planning, tax planning, and Medicaid look back rules?
- How do we preserve my deceased father's estate when my mother remarries?
- When there was no estate planning what happens to the estate?
- Father wants to deed his second home to my brother and I. Are we liable for a gift tax?
- SALE TAXES RIP OFF
- In-laws are building addition on my home to care for father-in-law with dementia, do they have a right to do that?
- I am the youngest can I be the power of attorney and own the house?
- Will life insurance pay you if you suddenly die from nothing or old age?
- Why would my step-father now create an affidavit for a property already included in a trust?
- Can our family sue my brother after illegal sale of Mom's home?
- How do you divide a family farm when there is a step child involved?
- What does my dad need to do to make me the new owner of his old house?
- Read more questions about Estate Planning…