Atria Hertlin Place

Reviews of Atria Hertlin Place

Independent Living Reviews for Atria Hertlin Place

January 31, 2016

By Visitor118911650

They invited me to a party at Atria Hertlin Place with the families of the people who live there. The food was all fried, delicious, pounds of cheese, plenty of food, plenty of chocolates and sweets, and I figured at least half of those people had to be diabetic and there was no regard for diet or anything like that. Everything was rich and fattening and sugary, and everybody was eating and enjoying, but it just wasn’t healthy. The families loved that their people were being taken care of, but the people were not happy. Then, I was in the main lobby and they were playing Bingo and that took about an hour, and then immediately after they had an entertainer. They never said to these people after 15 or 20 minutes, “Let’s get up, let’s stretch, let’s move,” nothing. It’s just one thing after another, they keep them busy, but it’s not constructive. Nobody sits for an hour without getting up; it should be like 20 minutes. These were old people and they were incapacitated, so there was the food that I wasn’t crazy about. I’m sure those people were on special diets, and then there was the just keeping them busy. The rooms were very small with a lot of doorways. When I looked at some deluxe rooms, there was one door leading to the entrance, then there was another door on the wall leading to the other bedroom, another door on the other wall leading to another bedroom, and then another door on the same wall leading to the kitchen, so you had no wall space at all in the main room, and it was small and not much closet space. It’s really a business. There’s no consideration. These people, I’m sure their families have to chip in for them, and who could afford this? It’s very sad. There’s no limit that they put a 9 percent increase, and then an additional increase within a year. It’s outrageous.

Thank you for reaching out. We post our Engage Life calendar on our website - there you can see we host over 200 events and programs each month, with at least two health and fitness opportunities every day. We also host monthly Food for Thought meetings, were residents, families and friends can discuss their dining preferences directly with our chef - we encourage all to attend!

September 12, 2015

Atria was nice. The people were friendly and nice too. They had bingo, trips, travelling, library, and movies. It’s a fairly new place.

April 03, 2015

By Caring108772050

I signed a residency agreement at Atria Hertlin Place. They took over $9000 from me, and within three business days, I canceled it. My mother decided at the last minute to not go. They refunded, but they kept $1700; I'm not sure why. The place physically was very nice, acceptable, clean, decent, and well kept. They seemed friendly enough. The rooms looked fine. I wanted her to go there. The location was good for her. From where she was living, it's only a mile or two away. They need to be a lot clearer about the financial arrangements and cancellation. They have some things in their lease agreements. It's stated that when you want to move out, they bill you for this amount, and they ultimately wind up keeping a certain portion of your money. It says within three business days if you cancel, you'll get a refund, and within three business days I canceled, so I'm not sure why they're keeping $1700.

Thanks for reaching out. If there is more about your experience that you'd like to let me know, I can be reached directly at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com.

July 09, 2014

By Teresa32

My husband has a lot of medical issues. He has back problems, so he was on a medication that a lot of people wouldn't accept and the Atria did. The atmosphere is very good. It's independent living, but my husband is only 59. There are a lot of elderly there and a lot of people with dementia and Alzheimer's, and also alcoholics go there. They give them wine on Friday and Saturday nights, which I don't think is right. He's not fitting in with the atmosphere very well. It's 1-room with a kitchen area. It's small, but he doesn't seem to complain about it. For the price I'm paying, he should be in a much bigger room. They take them out shopping. They have transportation for his medical supplies. He said the food is very good. He's had some problems with the nurses. I pay $265 for them to give him his medication. They could improve on better communication with the residents there. The doctors need to be on top of medications. Some staff are good, some are bad. The director is wonderful. As far as I've seen, they seem to be very good.

Thank you for providing feedback of your husband’s experience. It is wonderful to hear that you feel good about our community and we would like to speak with you further to gain a better understanding of your concerns. We appreciate and welcome your input on how we can improve. Please feel free to email us directly at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and if you would kindly include “Atria Hertlin Place” in your subject line, we can quickly include the right people in the correspondence. We are here to help!

August 08, 2012

By Appreciative one

This is probably the best level of "Independent Living" facilities to be found. My mom was there in her final years and there was no effort spared to make the residents happy. My analogy was "a fairly new cruise ship on land". Each days "events", always listed at the main desk, included chauffered stretch limousine trips to grocery stores, movies and events of interest. Tenants were offered one day prescription pick-up and delivery, bed & linen laundry, restaurant-like dining facilities with quality menus and meal variation. Group events were held by staff in the beautiful main lobby with it's stunning masonry fireplace ambiance, and an effort was made to support needs of aging seniors. Guests of residents were treated excellently, to the point of approval of dining with the residents. I believe I was told the restaurant staff were a mix of "pros" and college level food service industry students. The building was secure, heating & air-conditioning were excellent, on-site maintenance was always available in reasonable time frames - truly a full service offering. The "campus" is very well maintained, the housing offered a mix of different studios and one bedroom furnished or unfurnished rentals with full double loaded corridor kitchens; phone, internet and cable TV readily available. The facility offered 24 hour coverage of a local resident emergency call alert system. Rental rates were in line with local deals on Long Island (NY) which may have been a bit "pricey". The only drawback I felt was that the operation was represented as totally funded by rentals, and I felt I wanted it to succeed but it would been nice to hear how they otherwise generate revenue. There were absolutely no greedy five figure fees for rental application evaluations or other disencentives which we encountered elsewhere. I am happy to encourage everyone to take a look; this is so "up-front" they offer a one month FREE trial rental of a fully furnished one bedroom unit; actual rentals are on a month to month basis. My mom eventually passed on. The Hertlin House was fully attentive to her spiraling medical problems and we were on best of terms when her rental was concluded. I wish Hertilin House the best!

Costs for Atria Hertlin Place

Photos of Atria Hertlin Place

Services and Amenities of Atria Hertlin Place

• Activities Extra: Shabbat Service

• Get Costs

About Atria Hertlin Place

Set on 14 magnificent acres in the beautiful hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma, Atria Hertlin Place offers an independent lifestyle for today’s active older adults. Our convenient location provides easy access to the surrounding area, local beaches, and the exclusive shopping, restaurants and museums of the City. Reminiscent of a traditional country manor, Atria Hertlin Place offers a serene setting for spending your time on your terms. Enjoy a classic film in our movie theater, refresh and relax in our full-service beauty salon, or join us for an invigorating workout in our fitness center. At Atria Hertlin Place, you are free to do what you love, while our 24-hour staff handles the rest.

Map of Atria Hertlin Place