8 Assisted Living Facilities in Newport News City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Newport News City is $3,350 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Hampton City with an average starting cost of $2,599.
To help you with your search, browse the 60 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Newport News City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Newport News City 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Norfolk City with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Newport News City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Newport News
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newport News City
Named after Captain Christopher Newport who was the commander of three ships sent to the New World by the Virginia Company, the city of Newport News' population is almost 17% made up of seniors aged 65 years or older. To help provide care for this demographic, the city has eight assisted living facilities, with another 13 located in surrounding areas like Hampton and Yorktown.
Assisted living facilities throughout the state of Virginia are regulated and licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services. These are divided into two categories based on the level of care provided. Residential living care facilities provide the minimal level of care, while assisted living care facilities provide moderate levels of care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newport News City
- The Newport News area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Riverside Regional Medical Center and Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Located along the coast, Newport News has much to offer residents when it comes to good weather. Summer highs are warm, jumping into the higher 80s, and winters are mild with lows rarely dipping below freezing. The area gets an average of 215 sunny days per year compared to the U.S. average of 205.
- The overall cost of living in Newport News is right on par with the national average, but breaking this down into categories can give seniors a more accurate picture of how it may affect their budgets. Healthcare and housing are 8% and 2% higher, respectively, than the U.S. average, but groceries and transportation come in at 12% and 8% less.
- Crime may be a concern for seniors looking at assisted living facilities in Newport News. The property crime rate is 169% higher than the state average, and violent crime is almost 240% higher than the rest of Virginia.
- Both the air pollution and air quality indices in Newport News are better than the national averages, at 22% and 68% respectively, which can make it a positive choice for seniors with respiratory struggles.
- Seniors on fixed incomes can find a little more room in their budget in Virginia because the state only taxes retirement and pension income partially and doesn't tax Social Security income at all.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newport News City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Newport News City start around $3,350 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newport News City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newport News City
Seniors in Virginia who are eligible for and already receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) can apply for additional financial assistance via the Auxiliary Grant program. This grant provides seniors with money that can be used to pay for room and board at an assisted living facility as well as specific personal maintenance and care needs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newport News City
Newport News City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Newport News City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newport News City
Newport News City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Newport News City, VA
Assisted Living near Newport News City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Newport News City
Review of The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community
My father is in The Hidenwood, and it's been good. The biggest problem there has been staff turnover, but it's getting better. It's a very nice facility, and they have a lot of activities. The dini... Read more
Review of Huntington at The Newport
Sorry , but I wouldn’t want my parents to live there. They are roach infested. I was visiting my Mom’s friend and while there several roaches went across the floor. I asked the nurse about it and s... Read more
Review of The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community
I would like to thank the Hidenwood staff for the excellent facility that you take care of. My mother was a resident for 2 years. She felt safe and loved by the nurses and the entire staff her fina... Read more