38 Assisted Living Facilities near Burke, VA
There are 38 Assisted Living Facilities in the Burke area, with 2 in Burke and 36 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Burke is $6,470 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Springfield with an average starting cost of $4,551.
To help you with your search, browse the 230 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Burke. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Burke 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Vienna with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Burke, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Burke, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Burke
Named after a 19th-century farmer and merchant who built a house overlooking Pohick Creek, Burke is an affluent community in the Washington D.C. suburbs that's home to more than 5,900 residents aged 65 and over. There are two assisted living facilities in town and an additional 30 facilities in the nearby area for those seniors who need some help with daily life. The Virginia Department of Social Services officially licenses assisted living facilities (ALFs) as residential living care or assisted living care facilities in Burke and throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Burke
- The ozone levels in Fairfax County, where Burke is located, may be a concern for seniors on certain days. The American Lung Association gives the county a grade of F for ozone pollution because the area experiences more than three days per year of high ozone levels. These days can cause serious cardiovascular and respiratory problems.
- As part of the suburbs of Washington D.C., the cost of living in Burke is notoriously high. It's 68.5% higher than the national average of 100 and 54.7% higher than the Virginia state average of 133.8. This may be a concern for families looking for affordable assisted living.
- Despite the high cost of living, seniors and their families in Burke get a tax break due to Virginia's friendly tax policies. Social Security income is not taxed at the state level, and income from retirement accounts is partially taxed with a deduction of $12,000 for those aged 65 and over.
- Burke is considered a safe community with a violent crime rate 10.1 points below the national average of 22.7. The property crime rate is also low at 8.6 points below the national average.
- Several public transportation options are available for seniors in Burke who want to get around town or visit Washington D.C. Metrobus has several routes that run through the area, and the Manassas Line of the Virginia Railway Express goes all the way to Union Station. Fares are available at a discount.
- Burke has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Falls Church.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Burke
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Burke start around $6,470 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Burke and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Burke
Seniors in Virginia who qualify for Medicaid can receive some aid for assisted living through the Auxiliary Grant program, which provides supplemental income for individuals living in ALFs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Burke
Burke and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Burke, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Burke
Burke-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Burke
Review of Sunrise at Silas Burke House
My tour at Sunrise at Silas Burke House was pretty thorough. I had a sit-down briefing before we had a chance to do a walk around the place. It looks immaculate. In my understanding, it's only four... Read more
Review of Heatherwood Retirement Community
My father lived at Heatherwood for 15 months, arriving just prior to the Covid shutdowns. The activities schedule was full of interesting and exciting offerings, the exercise machines were soon to ... Read more
Review of Heatherwood Retirement Community
Heatherwood was extremely helpful in expediting an apartment for my dad to move into after his recovery in rehab was sooner than expected. His apartment is the one bedroom and is perfect for his n... Read more