What to Consider About Assisted Living in Covington
Covington, which is located north of New Orleans, is home to more than 8,700 residents, 14.5 percent of whom are age 65 and older. Covington area seniors will find eight assisted living facilities in and around the city, which offer secure living quarters as well as help with daily tasks like eating and grooming.
The Louisiana Department of Health is in charge of regulating Louisiana (ALFs). These facilities are defined by Louisiana state law as those facilities having two or more unrelated residents, needing help with basic daily tasks living bathing and grooming.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Covington
- The Covington, Louisiana area is home to world-class medical facilities including St. Tammany Parish Hospital and Lakeview Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- While the overall cost of living in Covington is 2 percent over the national average. However, the average cost of utilities, health care and groceries in Covington are less than the national average. This can be beneficial to older people living on a fixed income.
- In an average year, the area experiences hot, steamy summers and mild, warm winters. The average high temperature in Covington in January is 62 degrees Fahrenheit, and the average high temperature in August is 92 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This part of Louisiana is known for its high crime, particularly theft and property crime. The overall crime rate in Covington is 19 percent higher than the national average. However, there is progress. The Covington crime rate has decreased by 15 percent in recent years.
- It's easy to get from Covington to other parts of the region. Interstate 12 runs just south of the city and connects Covington with Gulfport, Mississippi to the east and Baton Rouge to the west. For local travel, the St. Tammany Area Transit (STAR) provides on-demand transportation within the parish. Passengers age 60 and older ride free Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. with COAST registration.
- Covington, Louisiana offers many attractions for seniors to enjoy, including the 10-foot statue of Ronald Reagan, the historic Otis House, Bogue Falaya Riverside Park and the HJ Smith and Sons General Store and Museum.
Paying for Assisted Living in Covington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Covington start around $3,383 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Covington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Covington
Eligible Covington, Louisiana seniors can find a myriad of government assistance programs to help with the cost of an ALF, including the Community Choices Waiver (CCW) and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Covington
Covington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Covington
Covington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.