The Watermark At Logan Square

2 Franklin Square, Philadelphia, PA, 19103

Reviews of The Watermark At Logan Square

BethK May 11, 2015

Be careful. My parents moved in to independent living March 2015. 1. No security 2. No contract filled out 3. Closets fell off the wall on the movers; no one injured luckily 4. No lights in master bedroom 5. Kitchen sink doesn't work; all pipes replaced on day two 6. Toilets making jack hammer noises 7. Painting done badly and incompletely 8. Cute little mice, yes mice, didn't show up until the fifth day after the move; their nest was behind the kitchen oven 9. Master bedroom window flooding; promised repairs within one year? Mold issues? 10. The Watermark manual was provided after move so almost everything was an experiment with little/no help. 11. The resident welcome coordinator was great; it's her volunteer job and she gave us far more information than all the staff members together.

I spoke with property the Executive Director of the Watermark at Logan Square and corporate personal. No explanation, responses or apology.

If all these things are OK with you, it's a go. If they're problems, be aware.

The dining room experience is fine. The apartments are very nice, when they're without mice and with working appliances and plumbing, and the activities are very good. The location is great. Whole Foods, museums, downtown a short walk. And Sabrina's Cafe a couple of steps outside the back door.

But service issues are a major problem.

EmilykL May 10, 2015

My grandmother has been here for less than a week, and she has had the most negligent care from all staff. Each staff blames another person for inadequacies, and after repeated requests we have not been able to contact the director to express our concerns. They have messed up her medications, brought the wrong food, left the food in the room when she's unable to feed herself, have waited an hour to clean her after requesting it, and are clothing her in ratty, worn down dressings. Can't disapprove of this facility more at this point.

As Executive Director, I’m very concerned to hear of the dissatisfaction that you and your family have experienced. I’m personally committed to ensuring your issues are quickly resolved to your satisfaction. We are committed to providing outstanding service for residents and their family members and work hard to maintain our high CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) rating. Please call me directly at 215-563-1800 to further discuss your observations. We will then stay in communication through the resolution process. Thank you. Sincerely, Jennifer Tapner, Executive Director

Caring104812550 April 30, 2015

We visited The Watermark recently and the place was fine except the bathrooms were too small. My power chair doesn’t fit into the bathroom. The staff seemed very attentive to our needs during our visit.

Caring96265150 December 14, 2014

My aunt was in hospice at Watermark. It made her last days very comfortable. The rooms were adequate. The facility was clean, and the staff was attentive.

Shelby5 November 18, 2014

I liked Watermarks better, and it is also in town. It seemed friendlier, more amenable, and a nice place in general. There seemed to be a lot of activities. It seems really pretty, clean, and they had a shuttle. It is a very nice place; they had a nice library, they had offered courses -- like you could take French-- and seemed a little more expensive. It is very attractive and well-maintained. I think there was a special lunch, and they invited us to come.

Caring95553550 November 07, 2014

We found The Watermark (The Watermark at Logan Square) for my father. It is a beautiful place. The staff is great. They're excellent. Regarding the room, it is clean. They re-did everything. They re-did the closet and re-painted the wall. It looked like brand new. Food is delicious. With regards to activities, they have trips. They have a bus that goes around the city. They have Bible studies and church. They have a whole lot of different things -- more than bingo. As far as security, they're secured. They have security there. One thing they could improve on is their elevators.

George89480450 October 16, 2014

The staff at The Watermark at Logan Square was very sociable and very friendly. The people appeared to be social as well. There weren't that many wheelchair residents. The problem I had was parking. I have a large family, and I would want -- whatever decision I make -- my children to be able to visit my wife and I without having parking problems.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. It’s true, we are a very sociable community! Also true is your statement that city living usually comes with the challenge of parking. That being said, we are fortunate to have a parking garage. We do offer parking in our garage for guests and spaces are based on availability. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me and again, thank you for your feedback. Jennifer Tapner, Executive Director

Caring0521 September 23, 2014

I took a short tour at Watermark, but it was a nice facility. They have one with a little kitchenette and two bedrooms that I really liked. It’s a nice neighborhood, and they have shuttles that will take you into town where you can reach hospitals and shopping centers. The people that were showing us around were very informative. We were invited to a nice lunch, and the food was very good with lots of variety in the menu. They have instructors for computer classes and a library as part of their activities.

daugtherlee July 08, 2014

My 81 year old father is currently a resident in the skilled nursing unit. He also had a 6 week stay at Watermark in subacute rehab about 4 years ago after a fall/broken hip. The physical location is convenient to public transportation and public parking is available for 5.00 just around the corner just north of 17th and Callowhill (the lot is on 17th street and says "PUBLIC PARKING". The physical facility is quite nice, decorated in hardwood floor/oriental rug/traditional furniture kind of way. OUr case worker at Jefferson Hospital told us it is the nicest subacute rehab and/or skilled nursing in the Center City area. However, my biggest reservation is that the staff/patient ratio seems insufficient to adequately take care of the patients who are bedridden or need a higher level of care. The place may be great for those who only need assisted living, but my father for example is paralyzed from the chest down and incontinent. When his diaper needs to be changed due to a bowel movement, we have waited up to 50 minutes after ringing the bell for someone to finally come. Some tasks require 2 people to move him, and it is virtually impossible to find TWO people. Speaking to other family members of residents and staff members, it seems there were significant cuts made in March to an already lean staff and as a result, morale is low and the staff are frustrated because one person cannot handle the work that used to be done by 1.5-2 people prior to March 2014. Looking at the Medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare page, it looks like the five star ratings were done during the last inspection, which was prior to this change in staffing. So if you have a pretty independent resident who does not need a high level of care, who wants nice carpet, wallpaper, etc and a convenient location, this is for you. If you have a fragile, relatively disabled loved one, you are in trouble unless you want to sit by their side 24/7 and advocate for them.

At The Watermark at Logan Square, we want our residents to have an extraordinary experience in all aspects of their stay. We appreciate that you commended us on the areas you felt we were exemplary and commented on the areas you felt we needed to improve. As the administrator, I can assure you we have not experienced any major staffing changes and our staff to patient ratio is well above the required state minimum. I apologize that your stay did not meet or exceed your expectations in every way and again, thank you for your comments. We hope we can serve you again and if you have any issues at all, please bring them to the immediate attention of the nursing supervisor or myself.

Sincere thanks, Jennifer Tapner, Executive Director

Caring83573950 June 18, 2014

The Watermark at Logan Square is very nice and very upscale. The rooms are very nice. The person that gave me the tour was courteous. There are a lot of activities that they do there. I know they have recreational activities, and they have an exercise room. Overall, they seem to have everything pretty much covered.

Jean48 May 30, 2014

I have a brother-in-law at The Watermark and a couple of friends. They're happy that they're there. It's very posh. It's very expensive. I've had meals there. The food is absolutely top shelf, and the accommodations, depending on what you're paying for, can be deluxe. It's definitely the nicest place.

Their dining room is super. As far as the accommodations, I guess it's what you're willing to pay. My brother-in-law has a very nice 1-bedroom. He has a living room, bedroom, bathroom, and plenty of storage space, and he has help coming in. As far as I know, he's fine and as happy as he can be. There are programs all over the place. They have a barber shop and a beauty parlor. It's like a high class hotel and a beautiful building in the downtown area, and they have a bus that takes you farther downtown to the shopping center. It's very convenient. If you don't want to take a bus, or if you've missed the bus, there are always cabs around to get. It has every amenity you can think of, but that's why it's so expensive.

Myrna Bloom Marcus May 21, 2014

Our love affair began a few weeks ago when the dream of living in center city Philadelphia became a possibility. Now a reality for me and my husband for one week, The Watermark feels like a luxury hotel, and like home at the same time. An extraor-dinarily friendly and helpful staff, fine restaurant eager to please, daily activities exercising both body and mind - all are already evident. Stimulating conversations with real people sharing interests and life stories are easily engaged in, views of the city are spectacular. In love, yes. Hoping to live here for a long time, yes. No place could be a happier one.

mise13 December 22, 2013

Lovely building. Very pleasant and helpful staff. But Mom has waited over 45 minutes for an aid to come when she rings- a real problem for a bedridden patient.

Toniblain December 10, 2013

The community is beautiful and the few times I have visited, I just absolutely love it. The building is clean, the employees are wonderfully friendly and most certainly the food is great. I would highly recommend seniors to consider moving in.

babraid September 08, 2013

My mom and dad both lived there (mom in asst living. dad in the alzheimer's unit), and for the price it was an ok place. A few things to note before moving there: 1. Parking is extremely limited. 2. The apts have a shower in the tub, and some tubs still have the regular high sides. You will be asked to pay about $800 (I forget exact amount) if you need the side cut down to make entry easier. 3. Staffing is EXTREMELY lean. Average wait time for call-bell response is 1/2 hour, on assisted living and in rehab. I timed this on 5 occasions in both rehab and assisted living b/c mom wouldn't ring for help to get to the bathroom, saying there was no point in ringing. 4. The elevators are really slow, even tho I see a response from someone about elevator upgrades, they are still super-slow. 5. After living there for a while both mom and dad were required by the Watermark to have personal aides. Be sure to understand how and when this mandate may go into effect for your loved one. It's very expensive, and altho sometimes necessary, this wasn't something the marketing people brought up--what will happen when they don't have the staff to take care of your parent. All that being said, there are some genuinely caring people there. When dad died the staff did everything they could to make that time easier for mom.

Arnold3 August 15, 2013

The Watermarks is a reasonable place. But they had been very lean with staffing and they don't have the ratio of staff to people to provide the right level of support.

Caring65937750 July 12, 2013

I didn't care for The Watermark because I felt I was like a camper when I was there. I went around dinner time and everybody was waiting outside the locked dining room and that made me feel very uncomfortable that everybody was sort of herd together and waiting in their wheelchair and stuff. I thought also that it was an old hotel that became a residential community. It was really too big for me and I didn't like the size of it.

Deborah12 June 12, 2013

Watermark is a very well-kept facility. My mother has a small one-bedroom unit there that she couldn't get anywhere for a similar price. That's one of the reasons she decided to stay in Philadelphia. The staff was fine though I didn't have much interaction with them. The food is also good, not great, but for all the people that they're feeding there, it is pretty good.

Erica Rivera October 23, 2012

The Place is great, however the elevators are terrible. My mother struggles to make it to dinner on time and most eleavators are always down. The director of security is terrible. myy mother waited 2 weeks for a mail box key, and God forbid she needed something else. she is 95 and does not need to wait that long especially for all we pay. I want to know how i can reach the human resources regional manger and make a complaint. I complained to the executive diretor multiple times and still nothing.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that your experience at The Watermark was anything less than extraordinary. My team and I are committed to making every experience a positive one. Here's what's in progress to solve the issues. Regarding keys, we have increased shipment orders to maintain stock at all times. No new resident should ever have to wait for a key again. Regarding the elevators, we have instituted a new policy that there will be no moves to our community (which take a lot of space on the elevators) during peak hours or meal times. Additionally, we now have operators manning the elevators during dinner hours and high traffic event times. We have also purchased software that will adjust the load capacity. It actually slightly reduces the load capacity and therefore will prevent overloading which will greatly expedite timing. I would be glad to speak with you about your concerns. Please call my cell at 215-375-4465 any time if you would like to discuss this or any matter. Additionally, if you would like to speak with our National Director of Human Resources, you can reach Mike Burkhart at 520-797-4000. Sincerely, Jennifer Tapner, Executive Director, The Watermark at Logan Square.

tsg August 28, 2012

My most recent memory of the Watermark was my great-grandmother's 100th birthday party. The staff was great help and they even provided us with plates for our cake. I think that my great-grandmother lived out her final years in happiness thanks to the care from the people at the Watermark.The reason I gave the facility three stars as opposed to five stars is the fact that my great-grandmother was not able to bring her car with her. I understand that it may be policy to have no animals at the the center, but it would have made the transition much easier on her. Furthermore, as great as the staff was; the center was extremely understaffed. There was a general sense of chaoticness in the facility which is really the opposite of what you want somewhere like that. Other than that, I believe that this facility provides a fairly smooth transition from everyday civilian life, the life in an assisted living facility.

marksemily14 March 28, 2012

The staff is always helpful when I enter the facility. My boyfriend's grandparents are both residents and when several times they had some serious health problems they were taken care of with delicacy and professionalism. While I find that it is very pricey, the service is quite excellent. I would put my own grandmother there.

elemide June 30, 2011

Aaaahh.. talk about retiring in style. This is the complete package if you ask me. Has a five-star hotel themed setting and comes with everything one requires; a fitness center, barbershop and lady's salon, massage parlor, chefs, a bar, front patios and balconies that over-look the rest of the city and a 24 hour staff on stand-by for one's every need. Been to a number of retirement facilities and can say this ranks high and is among one the better managed retirement centers there is within the Philadelphia area. If I was ever to retire tomorrow and having to consider a home away from my home, this would be it.

SteveRol June 24, 2011

My mother has resided in the Watermark's independent living section for a few years now. I have found that the community is Great. Also, the nursing care for the independent living folks is excellent. They are responsive (to both the resident and their families), have excellent judgment, get to know the residents as people, not just diagnoses. All the staff members I have dealt with are well-trained, patient, and understand what is required when working with senior citizens.

What a great place for my mother to live independently! This is a full-service community setting where warmth, caring and integrity are but a part of what I see as the vision that creates The Watermark's culture! The fantastic staff always have smiles and warm words for both residents and visitors. It really seems that the associates have a great interest in the success and wellbeing of the residents and the community at large.

In addition to the great atmosphere, there is a huge comfort level in knowing that there are skilled staff members just a call away at all times. This is a great place and I have recommended many of my friends to explore this as an opportunity and a great place for their parents also!

My mother says moving to the Watermark has turned out to be one of the best lifestyle choices she could have made. Partly because of the Watermark's proximity to philadelphia. In addition, therer are daily events presented right here at the Watermark such as recitals, instructive classes, etc. Last, but not least, there is the comaraderie of the many friends you meeti and socialize with, as well as the services of a caring staff. Again,

The staff is extremely caring and takes each resident's wellbeing seriously. They go out of their way to help them through the inevitable difficulties that emerge for old people. Nothing in this world is better than feeling secure!!

JoshP4ri5 May 31, 2011

Visited this facility

My grandmother lives at this facility, I really enjoy visiting her and she truly enjoys living there.

Its located in a really nice area of Philadelphia so I feel safe visiting my grandmother, and I have never heard of her feeling un easy about traveling around the area. They have a really great services that they provide to help keep residents busy. There is a hair salon that my grandmother goes to located on site as well as a day spa, i am not sure how often she goes there but im positive that she takes advantage of it because lord knows i would!. They have a excellent restaurant that we go to from time to time when i visit her the food is pretty good and the staff is very nice and professional. My grandma lives in the one bedroom apartment and it has the feel of a luxury hotel, I not know how much she pays but it is worth every penny.

From The Watermark At Logan Square

The Watermark at Logan Square in Philadelphia, PA is a rental retirement community that offers Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care and Skilled Nursing on a campus that bristles with all the excitement of Center City living. Choose from spacious one-bedroom models to our gorgeous penthouse suites, all recently renovated from top to bottom. The Club brings many aspects of wellness together in one place: Indulge Salon, a full-service beauty salon and spa, Renew Wellness Center, which offers nutritional and preventive care, Vitality Fitness Center and the eco-friendly Gallery Cafe. We know that challenging our brains and getting in better physical shape has enormous benefits at every age, and The Watermark at Logan Square offers an ongoing course schedule of mind-expanding and body-toning classes through Watermark University. A Watermark retirement community.

Features of The Watermark At Logan Square

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• French
  • Spanish

• Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym

• Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class, our own in-house University

• Private services

• Staff patient ratio: based on the need of the resident
  • Minimum age: 62+ (there can be exceptions)

• Licenses: Personal Care, Rehab, and SNF licence

• Financial guidance extra: We have providers that can help with all above

Location of The Watermark At Logan Square