(800) 973-1540

Medicare Coverage of Home Improvement

By Caring.com Staff

What It Is

Home improvement, such as the addition of ramps, banisters, and safety bars to improve patient safety

What's Covered

Medicare Part B covers a number of different types of medical equipment to assist patients in moving around their homes safely and comfortably. But Medicare Part B doesn't cover actual physical changes to a home.

If you have a Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plan: Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plans, also called Medicare Advantage plans, must cover everything that's included in original Medicare Part A and Part B coverage. But sometimes a Part C plan covers more, with extra services or an expanded amount of coverage. (Co-payments for Part C plans may also be different than those for Part A or Part B.) To find out whether your plan provides extra coverage or requires different co-payments for home improvement, contact the plan directly.

What Medicare Pays

Medicare Part B doesn't pay for physical changes to a home.

Important: Regardless of the rules regarding any particular type of care, in order for Medicare Part A, Medicare Part B, or a Medicare Part C plan to provide coverage, the care must meet two basic requirements:

  • The care must be "medically necessary." This means that it must be ordered or prescribed by a licensed physician or other authorized medical provider, and that Medicare (or a Medicare Part C plan) agrees that the care is necessary and proper. For help getting your care covered, see FAQ: How Can I Increase the Odds That Medicare Will Cover My Medical Service?

  • The care must be performed or delivered by a healthcare provider who participates in Medicare.