Country Meadows of Mechanicsburg (West Shore)

4905 E Trindle Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA, 17050

Reviews of Country Meadows of Mechanicsburg (West Shore)

krzy3 April 06, 2014

Very disappointed in the care my father received while living at CM in the dementia unit. Lack of proper training of the PCA's, short staffed, kitchen and dining area for the residents very dirty, lost clothing and personal belongings, and the list goes on. One major factor one should consider before making a decision as to whether or not to reside at this facility is there is NO skilled nursing care. If you want your loved one to live there for the rest of their life, consider a facility with skilled nursing. Once you reach a certain level of care, especially in the dementia unit, your loved one will have to be moved to another facility with skilled nursing. This should be brought to the attention of potential residents/families who are looking for a place to call home. County Meadows did not meet our expectations in the care of our loved one.

We are sorry you are disappointed. At Country Meadows in Mechanicsburg, we offer independent living, personal care, memory support and restorative care services. Our goal is to provide the best quality care and support for all residents in the programs we provide and make every effort to care for them as long as possible. To accomplish this we have developed a strong network of healthcare partners, including hospice and home health agencies that can provide additional needed services. However, when a resident’s needs surpass what we can safely offer, we do provide referrals to organizations that offer a higher level of care. We are truly sorry if this information was not clearly explained to your family when choosing Country Meadows.

Country Meadows is very proud of the high level of training provided to our Personal Care Associates, which exceeds the requirements in Pennsylvania. So that we can look into your other concerns, please call our confidential hotline at 888.470.3376. Thank you for allowing us to care for your father. Best wishes to your family.

slynnski March 13, 2014

I would first like to start by saying that Country Meadows is a beautiful facility. But, as most of us know, beauty is only skin deep. Since selling their home and moving to Country Meadows in October of 2012, my grandparents have had nothing but sub-par treatment from the staff. My grandmother is in Independent Living and my grandfather resides in the Alzheimer’s/dementia unit, being unable to care for himself anymore. My grandmother pays out roughly $7,000 a month for both she and my grandfather to stay there. For that kind of money, we expect the best care for my grandfather. We understand that nobody is perfect and that mistakes and accidents happen. We also understand that there are a lot of residents and that the dementia unit is understaffed and underpaid. What we don’t understand is when there are accidents and mistakes and my grandfather is receiving poor care, but all we are given from the staff are excuses and snide remarks from the CNAs. No one is willing to say sorry or take responsibility. Or take corrective action and work with my grandmother to make changes or improvements based on her needs and desires for my grandfather’s care. When mistakes repeatedly keep happening, some much more serious than others (such as my grandfather being sent on an outing with no underwear on, and then he had an accident) and my grandmother has meetings with the directors and other higher-ups about her concerns and still nothing gets done or resolved and poor excuses are still being given, then frustrations and tempers run high. These people are in charge of caring for and the safety of helpless dementia patients. Yet they brush off and disregard loved ones’ concerns, needs and basic wishes. It is their way or the highway. To me, that is not good care or cooperation. Over the course of the year and a half that my grandparents have been there, there have been numerous confrontations with staff members. Now, both of my grandparents are being evicted from Country Meadows on the grounds that my grandmother harassed staff members. She has never done such things. She is an 80-year-old woman with a heart condition. She is one of the most kind and selfless people that I know. She has high expectations at times, but she has never harassed anyone there. She has never threatened or used profane or derogatory language towards any staff member there. And yet she and my grandfather, who is helpless and does not know what is going on, are being given 30 days to pack their stuff and leave. These people are heartless and cruel. Do not send your elderly loved ones to live here.

We’re very sorry that you had a negative experience with us. As a provider of senior living services ranging from independent living to personal care, memory support, and restorative care, our greatest concern is to provide cutting edge, quality care services to our residents. However, when a resident’s needs surpass what we can safely offer, we provide referrals to trusted organizations that offer a higher level of care and can help with the transition.

Country Meadows prides itself on hiring caring, qualified staff members whose number one concern is our residents. We have a staffing ratio higher than the state requires, and we utilize a rigorous pre-employment screening process to ensure we have the best caregivers working with our residents. We have many experts on our staff to provide guidance in programs for persons with Alzheimer’s disease, restorative care, physical therapy and more.

We have received your letter and appreciated the opportunity to talk to your family directly since your post. Thank you for allowing us to care for your parents and our best wishes to your family.

Diane47 December 30, 2013

My four sisters and I went to Country Meadows for my mother. This is one of the places that stood out for us. Their rooms were nice and very clean. Their food was great. We had a complimentary meal there and it was very nice. However, my mom is kind of a country girl and Country Meadows is more of a residential area. We thought that she would be more comfortable in a rural type of setting rather than this one.

Central PA Living August 28, 2012

The facility is run by outgoing and kind individuals, and there are a lot of daily activities for the residents but my grandfather has become ill several times as a direct result of the actions of the staff. He has contracted C Diff on multiple occasions due to treatment while a resident, even after repeated warnings from an outside RN.

Dear Central PA Living:

Thank you for your kind words about our Country Meadows co-workers. You are absolutely correct"”they truly do care about our residents. I frequently see some co-workers come in on their days off simply to visit residents or help with activities.

I am sorry to learn that your grandfather has contracted C Diff. As you probably know, C Diff tends to affect older adults in hospitals or long-term care settings and cannot be eliminated by using alcohol sanitizers alone. The illness typically occurs after the use of antibiotic medications. Country Meadows has procedures in place to properly handle illnesses that arise in communities such as ours. To combat C-diff, we employ special methods to dispose of garbage and practice very specific laundry protocols that include washing the affected person's laundry separately in very high temperatures. When necessary, our co-workers also wear protective items including gloves, gowns and masks.

Please feel free to contact me directly so we may discuss the details of your grandfather's illness. If needed, we will be happy to provide additional protections to help him avoid a repeat illness.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Danny Osten, Director of Wellness

SandraS August 16, 2012

Everything was wonderful! In fact, we wish my mother- in-law would've gone there. But right now, she's not ready and we can't do anything about it. We really liked the place! We know several people in the facility and they all love it. It's a neat and beautiful place, and they say the food there is wonderful, too. Well, we didn't get to taste it, but the people I know that live there says it is.

Gang 46 June 23, 2012

I was very impressed with the very clean facility and the bright and uplifting decor. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The staff was patient and kind. I could tell they like their jobs. The facility was well organized as the residents understood their recreational activities and schedule. Residents seemed to be happy interacting with each other. When I asked a resident their opinion of Country Meadows they explained it was much better than some of the places their peers attend and they are respected by the staff. Another resident told me the staff make a deliberate effort to understand the needs and wants of the residents. The staff appeared helpful to the residents and were quick to answer residents requests for service. Residents also appeared to be clean and well-kept. The outside of the building was beautiful and the greens were well tended. The building itself was painted nicely. I felt welcomed as a volunteer and would return to Country Meadows.

Jan-Sue May 10, 2012

My mom has been a resident of Country Meadows for almost two years, living in their independent living building. She is 88 years old and in relatively good health. Her apartment is lovely, clean, and safe. The two meals a day which are provided are, for the most part, nutritious, appealing, and easy for her to consume. Transportation is provided twice a week to the supermarket, drugstore, and a small, local mall. Each trip is one hour, not quite adequate if a resident wants to shop for a pair of shoes or a gift. There are not really enough activities to stimulate an active mind. Most of the movies are old. The crafts offered are infrequent. There are very few large-print books in their collection, and bus trips to the library are infrequent. Outside speakers are infrequently invited there. The evenings are long and boring for many residents and, with supper served at 4:45, the evening is long and lonely. Sunday's are given over to visiting clergy. If a resident is not Christian or not religious, Sunday is just so lonely! Thus, Country Meadows is clean and safe, with some caring staff; but, it is definitely not stimulating.

Caring5812 March 01, 2012

Nice facility. Clean and well kept. We were looking for more permanent housing and at the time when we were researching a facility for our father they were only offering temporary and transitional housing to get on a waiting list.

From Country Meadows of Mechanicsburg (West Shore)

Get ready to live in a beautifully-renovated campus: Country Meadows of Mechanicsburg (West Shore) recently completed significant upgrades that include outdoor dining, a new Bistro, seven dining rooms, and multiple tranquil spaces for meeting friends and taking in the scenery.

Country Meadows of Mechanicsburg (West Shore) is located in the heart of Camp Hill, close to Carlisle Pike and Route 15. (You'll find it just across the street from beloved local Chinese restaurant, Chef Wong.) This convenient location makes it easy for residents to get to shopping, medical centers, area activities. Residents enjoy outings to the walking paths of Lisburn Park, farmer's market in Lemoyne and outings to Yellow Breeches Creek in Grantham. And residents especially enjoy participating in the annual events like the Health & Wellness Fair, and Jubilee, the country's most extensive one-day street fair.

Country Meadows Retirement Communities is a multi-generational family business, founded by former Pennsylvania Governor George M. Leader and wife Mary Jane. For over four decades, the organization has remained family-owned, with the founders still sitting on the board. Adult children Michael Leader (CEO), David Leader (COO), and brother-in-law, Ted Janeczek (CFO), now run the establishment. There are a total of 10 communities owned by Country Meadows -- nine in Pennsylvania, and one in Frederick, Maryland.

The organization's family mission is to keep residents self-sufficient and independent as long as possible. How independent is independent? The answer differs for each resident. As we age, we lose ability to perform certain tasks -- but there are other tasks we can still do. Country Meadows assesses each individual to find out what he can do and where he needs help. Country Meadows meets residents where they're at. For example, a man who can no longer drive might be able to help with directions; a woman who can't use a knife to chop carrots safely might be able to fold napkins or tear lettuce.

Country Meadows staff also customizes exercise programs to each individual's ability. Classes are instructed according to levels of proficiency for optimum physical, mental, and spiritual benefits.

Country Meadows strives to help residents find meaning in their lives. The staff knows that giving back to the community can be extremely gratifying to seniors, even as they themselves are receiving assistance. For example, a resident might need assistance getting dressed because it hurts to lift her arms -- but that very same resident might be able to participate in an arthritis advocacy walk. She is giving back and making a difference, and her contribution matters. Country Meadows has partnered with numerous charitable organizations to make opportunities like this possible, because they know that senior lives are made richer when they can help others.

One secret of Country Meadows' success: they recruit and retain the best staff in the area. They've been deemed "Best Place to Work in Pennsylvania" eight times between 2001-2011. This is no accident: Country Meadows management strives to create a culture of fulfillment and passion by providing ongoing training, education, and career enhancement opportunities. Employees are happy to be here, and families notice that they are gracious, approachable, and helpful.

Community Features

• Close proximity to libraries, senior centers, banks, churches, temples, doctors' offices, veterinarians' offices
  • Seven dining rooms
  • Newly remodeled bistro
  • Country kitchen
  • New outdoor dining spaces
  • New shared areas for amusing guests, mingling and unwinding
  • Fitness center: equipment specially designed for use by seniors
  • Computer center with access and instructions
  • Housing organized according to peer groups
  • Beauty shop
  • Barber shop
  • Gift shop: resident-staffed
  • Ice cream parlor

*Apartment complexes are grouped according to level of care

Events

• Annual Health & Wellness Fair
  • Annual Jubilee Day
  • Lunch & Learn: lectures from outside speakers

According to Director of Advertising, Mandi Block, "It's all about you." Classes are organized by differing levels of ability. Some activities are actually run by the seniors -- for example, one small group regularly watches opera on DVDs together.

• Nautilus: exercises are devised for seniors
  • One-on-one fitness training
  • Group fitness training
  • Strength training
  • Mind/body training
  • Balance training
  • Tai Chi
  • Yoga: gentle
  • Wii bowling league: all locations of Country Meadows compete against each other annually
  • Additional computer games include golfing, tennis, and baseball Life-long learning programs
  • Volunteer opportunities. Walking clubs for exercise and fundraising: ten cents per mile donated by Country Meadows on behalf of senior walkers for the Alzheimer's Association and the Arthritis Foundation
  • Art classes
  • Painting courses
  • Piano lessons
  • Cooking presentations
  • Current events exchanges
  • Support groups including groups for grief, Alzheimer's, and memory care
  • Movie nights
  • Picnics
  • Field trips to museums
  • Organized travel ventures

Services

• Devoted fitness staff to assist with exercises
  • Physical therapy
  • Occupational therapy
  • Speech therapy
  • Day-long dining: snacks and beverages
  • Regular, high-caliber meals served three times per day
  • Dressing assistance
  • Medication management
  • Weekly housekeeping
  • Weekly linen services
  • Transportation to appointments, errands, shopping, and church
  • Full-time, onsite chaplains with referrals to clerics for other religions

Benefits

• Potential residents learn total costs immediately, as the rental fee is all-inclusive with services
  • Rental fee covers all utilities plus cable television and wireless internet access
  • No buy-in fee
  • 24-hour trained, compassionate staff
  • Pet-friendly

Country Meadows has proven through four decades that it walks its talk. Goals are to:

• Promote a Genuine Sense of Community
State Certification:
Housing Categories:
  • Independent Living
  • Assisted Living
  • In-home care services (our company also operates an in-home care agency serving non-residents in their homes)
Cleaning Services:
  • Laundry services: Clothing (staff washes residents' clothes)
  • Laundry services: Linens (staff washes residents sheets/linens)
  • Private laundry (residents can wash own laundry on site)
  • Housekeeping (staff provides housekeeping services to residents)
Activities:
  • Organized offsite activities (outings, etc.)
  • Arts
  • Woodworking
  • Crafts
  • Games (bingo, bridge, etc.)
  • Religious services
  • Bocce ball
  • Happy Hour
  • Themed dining events
Guest Services:
Pets Allowed:
Dining Options:
  • In-room kitchenettes
  • In-room full kitchens (includes oven, etc.)
  • Meals delivered to residents' rooms
In-Room Technology/Entertainment:
Privacy Options
  • Private
  • Semi-private
Transportation Options

Features of Country Meadows of Mechanicsburg (West Shore)

• 24-hour security gate

• Pharmacy

Location of Country Meadows of Mechanicsburg (West Shore)