Specific rules for older drivers
- Vision test mandatory starting at age 80.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every 6 years if no driving infractions; every 4 years otherwise.
- Renewal conditions: By mail, phone, Internet, or in person, every third license term.
- Vision test: Yes, at in-person renewal.
- Written test: May be required, based on driving history, signs of physical or mental impairment based on observations of a department clerk, or a report by a law enforcement officer, a physician, a family member, or another member of the public.
- Road test: May be required if there are signs of physical or mental impairment, based on observations of a department clerk or in response to a report by a law enforcement officer, a physician, a family member, or another member of the public.
For more information
Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles
Neil Kirkman Building
2900 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0500