What to Consider About Assisted Living in Champaign
The city of Champaign is a micro-urban city where seniors will find amenities like a developed park system, a world class library, and The University of Illinois. There are also a total of 19 Assisted Living Facilities in the Champaign area, with 4 in the Champaign city limits and 15 in the nearby areas of Urbana and Savoy. These facilities give residents the support that they need with tasks associated with their day-to-day lives, like eating, bathing, grooming, and medication management.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Champaign
- With an annual average high temperature of 61°F and an average low of 40°F, weather in Champaign is chilly at best. This could be inconvenient for seniors suffering from arthritis.
- The Cost of living in Champaign, IL is 9 percent lower than the national average making it a relatively affordable city to live in.
- The Champaign area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Carle Foundation Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Champaign is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Champaign has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Stevick Senior Center, an organization that helps seniors stay active and play a meaningful part in their local communities, as well as 3 other senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Champaign
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Champaign start around $3,160 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Champaign and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Champaign
For residents of Illinois that are at least 65 years of age, the Illinois Supportive Living Program (SLP) helps to pay for the cost of assisted living accommodation. There are age, financial and functional requirements that must be met to receive the benefits, but those who meet the criteria will receive the required help. While the SLP doesn't cover the cost of the resident's room and board expenses, these fees can be paid with Social Security or Supplemental Security Income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Champaign
Champaign and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Champaign
Champaign-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.