What to Consider About Assisted Living in Stamford
Stamford, CT, is located in Fairfield County about 30 miles from Manhattan. It is the third largest city in the state and seniors account for over 13 percent of the population. Stamford is home to three assisted living facilities, and there are 24 more in nearby areas including Darien, Greenwich and Norwalk. All assisted living service agencies (ALSAs) in Connecticut are regulated by the Department of Public Health to provide services at managed residential communities (MRCs). They must fulfill rigid standards that help guarantee the best care for residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Stamford
- Stamford has a temperate climate, experiencing hot summers with temperatures averaging in the 80s and cool winters with average lows in the 20s. The city sees a lot of rain throughout every season, with average rainfall of 50 inches a year. That’s the equivalent of 31 gallons per square foot of land. Winters are variable depending on whether rain or snow decides to fall.
- The cost of living in Stamford is very high, 60 percent higher than the national average. The main reason for this high cost is housing, which can be a problem for seniors since it affects facility costs. The average monthly price for community living in Stamford is over $5,000. On top of high housing, Stamford is above national average in all other areas, including grocery, health, transportation and utilities.
- The Stamford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Stamford Hospital and Yale New Haven Greenwich Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Stamford Senior Center is a community resource that promotes healthy bodies and minds for senior residents. Popular programs include day trips, painting, exercise and technology classes. There is a low yearly fee to help cover costs.
- Stamford takes culture seriously, with an Arts and Culture Commission dedicated to helping develop organizations that promote art and culture. Popular attractions include the Stamford Museum and Nature Center for kids or adults, the beautiful 93-acre Bartlett Arboretum and the Loft Artists community that supports locals with their artistic dreams.
- Several transportation programs for seniors make it easy to get around the city. Share the Fare provides half-price taxi fees, the Stamford Senior Transportation Program offers door-to-door trips to senior events or grocery stores and the transit bus system runs all week long.
Paying for Assisted Living in Stamford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Stamford start around $4,997 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Stamford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Stamford
Eligible low-income seniors in Stamford can apply for Medicaid to pay for assisted living costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Stamford
Stamford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Stamford
Stamford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.