Assisted Living in Canon City
Canon Lodge Care Center905 HARDING AVENUE, Canon City, CO
Legacy Center Assisted Living1335 BAUER LANE, Canon City, CO
Florence Care Home, Inc.1230 W 3rd Street, Florence, CO
Forgetmenot Care Home9 S. Doris Drive, Florence, CO
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Canon City area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 4 assisted living communities in the Canon City area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Canon City
East of the Rocky Mountains, along the Arkansas River, at the mouth of the of the Royal Gorge, sits Canon City, Colorado, a city of just over 16,000 with unique geographical landscape and a rich cultural heritage. Over 20 percent of residents are aged 65 and older. To meet the needs of aging adults, there are two assisted living facilities located within the city, and an additional two less than six miles away in the city of Florence. Like all assisted living facilities in the state, these communities are governed by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Canon City
- Colorado tends to have a higher cost of living than the national average, and the largest contributing factors are housing and transportation costs. Canon Falls offers a good alternative for seniors looking to save on living costs. While the state average surpasses the U.S. average of 100 at 132, Canon City scores a 91.6.
Violent and property crime rates in Canon City are 36.2 and 42.9, respectively, out of a possible score of 100. These rates are higher than the U.S. averages of 31.1 and 38.1 in the same categories.
- For active seniors who enjoy spending their time outdoors, Canon City is known for its high air quality. On a scale out of 100, Canon City scores an 87 out of 100, significantly higher than the U.S. average of 58.
Fremont County Transit provides a curb-to-curb transportation service within Canon City, however this service must be pre-booked in advance. There is a suggested donation of $1 per trip for seniors, however the service will not turn away riders unable to pay this donation.
- Geographically situated in a mountain bowl at an elevation of 5,300 feet above sea level, Canon City is protected from harsh weather conditions, earning it the nickname, "the Climate Capital of Colorado". Residents can expect 255 days of sun each year and an average summer of 89 degrees Fahranheit. While winter lows can drop to around 19 degrees, temperatures are often as much as 10 degrees higher in Canon City than surrounding communities.
- In addition to its abundant outdoor sights and activities, Canon City has a vibrant artistic and cultural scene. Its historic downtown is home to a number of popular attractions, including the Royal George Regional Museum & History Center and Freemont Center for the Arts.
Paying for Assisted Living in Canon City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Colorado
Assisted Living costs in Canon City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Canon City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Canon City
While there are no state-sponsored programs in Colorado, there are a number fo agencies and programs that offer financial support for seniors to help seniors manage the costs associated with assisted living. In addition to benefits offered by the state's Medicaid system, Health First Colorado, the Old Age Pension (OAP) program provides support to eligible residents over the age of 60, and Colorado does offer financial supplements to low-income individuals on SSI payments.
Residents should contact the Fremont County Department of Human Services, which is responsible for overseeing the application, administration and fulfillment of all financial aid programs, for information and assistance in accessing these financial benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Canon City
Canon City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Canon City
Canon City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Colorado are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page for more information about these laws.