Assisted Living in Chambersburg
Magnolias of Chambersburg745 Norland Avenue, Chambersburg, PA
Penn Hall at Menno-Haven1425 Philadelphia Avenue , Chambersburg, PA
The Inn at Luther Ridge2735 LUTHER DRIVE, Chambersburg, PA
Providence Place of Chambersburg2085 Wayne Avenue, Chambersburg, PA
Quarters at the Shook55 SOUTH SECOND STREET, Chambersburg, PA
Brookdale Hagerstown20009 Rosebank Way, Hagerstown, MD
Broadmore Senior Living at Hagerstown1175 Professional Court, Hagerstown, MD
Elisabeth House16140 Trickling Springs Lane, Hagerstown, MD
Green Ridge Village210 Big Spring Road, Newville, PA
At A Glance
There are 36 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Chambersburg is $3,782 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Chambersburg area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 22 reviews of assisted living communities in the Chambersburg area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 36 assisted living communities in the Chambersburg area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Chambersburg
Chambersburg rests in the Cumberland Valley, just a few miles north of the Maryland border. There are many outdoor recreational options for seniors in the area to enjoy, including beautiful Caledonia State Park, nestled in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains. For seniors who prefer excursions indoors, there are a variety of historic homes to visit.
Assisted living residences in Chambersburg provide a solution for many seniors seeking to retain their independence with minimal help, and there are about 50 assisted living facilities near Chambersburg for seniors to choose from.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Chambersburg
- Many seniors may find the harsh climate of Chambersburg too cold and rainy for their taste. The normal winter low temperature of the city is 22 degrees and Chambersburg gets around 31 inches of snow each year. While the summers are mild, the city has an average annual rainfall of 41 inches.
- The violent crime rate in Chambersburg is very near the national average, and only 6.1 points above that of the state. Seniors should note that the property crime rate, however, is 9.4 points higher than that of the nation and 23.8 points higher than the state of Pennsylvania.
- The cost of living index for Chambersburg is lower than both the state and the nation. Seniors need to be aware that the major factor bringing down the cost of living in the city is housing. While health care rates are about the same as elsewhere in the nation, grocery rates are considerably higher.
Tax rates in Chambersburg are nearly the same as the U.S. average. With a sales tax rate of 6.0 percent and an income tax rate of 4.8 percent, the city's tax rates are similar to any other U.S. city. However, seniors benefit greatly from the fact that Pennsylvania completely exempts all retirement income from Social Security, IRAs and 401(k)s. Pension income for all adults age 60 and older is also exempt from taxation.
- The Chambersburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Chambersburg Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation in Chambersburg is provided by Rabbit Transit, which offers a variety of services to the area. Through the Senior Free Fare program, seniors can obtain an ID card to get free rides.
Paying for Assisted Living in Chambersburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Chambersburg start around $3,782 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Chambersburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chambersburg
Pennsylvania does not offer financial help for residents of assisted living facilities, either through the Medicaid State Plan or through any waiver program. The state does add to the federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, however, for those who qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chambersburg
Chambersburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chambersburg
Chambersburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.