The Citadel Senior Living

520 South Higley Road, Mesa, AZ, 85206

Reviews of The Citadel Senior Living

September 29, 2016

By Anna701605

I liked the location of The Citadel. I didn’t like the fact that we have to go out to go to the dining room, and if it rains or if there’s a bad weather, it becomes a problem to get to the dining room. I saw one room, and I thought it was very dark, very depressing, and very small, so that was not interesting to me at all. The personnel had been fantastic.

June 17, 2016

By Mark680382

We liked The Citadel. It’s a very nice place but farther away than my mom wanted to live. The staff was very pleasant and friendly. They offer a lot of activities for the residents. I would rate them highly.

December 20, 2015

By Carolyn117308450

I thought theapartments, staff, and food at Citadel were good. They have exercise classes and a swimming pool.

July 04, 2015

By Doug20

My mom is in The Citadel Retirement. Our impression is very good. She has moved from independent living to assisted living. She has a studio, and it is spacious. The dining room has a clubhouse feel to it. They have something to do every hour of the day like bingo, exercising, and fieldtrips. It is very safe and secure.

May 23, 2015

By Donald39

We took my parents over to The Citadel Retirement. They’re awesome and more than helpful. My parents did eat there; they said the food was very good. The apartments are decent and a nice size.

April 27, 2015

The staff at Citadel Retirement is very friendly. I like the way that they had all 3 levels of care in separate buildings. You can start out as independent. When they get worse, they can go to assisted, and when they get to the end of life, they can go to a medical care facility all on the same property, so that was a big bonus. I had eaten there several times; it was excellent. They offer a great amount of activities. The sanitation seems to be very good. Very nice, clean place -- inside and outside. The grounds were nice and kept, too. We’re so happy with them so far.

January 04, 2015

My brother moved in last Friday at Citadel. They were very friendly, open, and willing to help other people, and that really impressed me. The rooms are very nice and well-kept up as well as the facility itself. They do a lot of lawn maintenance, and they’re really on top of things. The staff was very good and helpful. My brother seems to like the food, and that’s a plus. I know they make a lot of field trips out; they go out to various places and shopping.

July 03, 2014

By Joyce Ann daughter

My mom lived in the Citadel assisted living for two years. She was very happy there. She made friends quickly, went to exercise classes, played bridge and participated in many of the other activities. Her apartment was very nice and we had it fixed up so it looked like a smaller version of her home. Rebecca, the manager of the citadel, was very easy to talk to and is continually improving the care, food, and general facility. I am so glad that my mom could live the last two years of her life in such a wonderful place. I never worried about her there.

June 27, 2014

We were able to visit The Citadel Retirement, and this facility is very nice. I think everything is very nice because I don’t remember anything that was negative about it. I can see that there's quite a few activities going on there.

March 20, 2014

By Debra24

When we first moved in Citadel, I had all kinds of questions. They didn't have a problem with that. The staff is very friendly, very helpful, and they answer any questions. For what it's worth, my father loves it there. He raves about the food. He likes everything about it. He was kind of screaming when we put him into the facility. Now that he's in there, he loves it. The rooms and flooring are fairly nice. Before we moved in, they either changed or replaced the carpet. It was a nice little apartment. I tried breakfast there one time. They have happy hour every Monday. They do outings, they go out for dinner to restaurants every Wednesday, they have bingo, card games, and entertainment all the time. They have a putting green, a workout room, and they celebrate certain holidays. Their activity calendar is pretty well filled. It's 4 miles from my work, I go by that facility every day. It doesn't mean that I stop in, but if anything would ever happen to him I can be there right away. That's why we picked it.

December 31, 2013

By Mandy1

Everything is awesome we have no complaints. The staff is excellent and great. They take him to his doctor's appointment and they had a lot of activities

October 31, 2013

By Kathy72604550

Citadel was nice but they only had a third floor apartment available and no washer and dryer in the apartment. The people seemed pretty good. The rooms, the size of the apartments and the location were very nice. They could just add a washer and dryer into their apartment so that the residents don't have so far to go to do their laundry.

May 23, 2013

By Caring 3239

My husband's great aunt used to live at Citadel Assisted Living. She had her own apartment, and it was clean and organized. She was pretty happy during her stay there.

July 27, 2011

By Emmyrose

This facility offers independent living, assisted living, memory care, and skilled nursing. Their independent living building is three stories. The skilled nursing and memory care are in the same building. They have a separate two-story building for assisted living. They have an RN in house. They have LPNs, and RAs 24-7, so there's always a nurse on call or in house. This is a gorgeous facility. The building is stuccoed, and they have room for picnics in the grounds. They have a whole area where the residents can walk around where there are flowers and trees and bushes. The floors inside are all marble. They have potted plants throughout, and even the nursing room area is beautiful. It's really swanky. They have laundry, a beauty salon, a library, on-site physical therapy, and they provide transportation with their own vans to the residents. They have dining rooms on different floors, and they have a formal dining room downstairs that looks like a really nice restaurant that any resident can go to. During the day, the RNs are the ones who actually pass out the meds. They have private rooms for the residents. They have studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments for the independent living and assisted living. All the apartments are good sized and have kitchens and either balconies or patios. The bedrooms are carpeted unless the resident is disabled and needs tile floors. The showers and kitchens are wheelchair accessible with low counters and roll-in showers. They have great food. They have three meals a day plus snacks, and they have good variety on the menu. They have an on-site bank, so that the residents don't have to go out to the bank, and even the employees can cash their checks there. It has lots of parking for visitors. They have lots of activities "“ bingo, barbecues, cards, shuffleboard, etc. They used to put on skits, but I don't know if they do that anymore. If a resident is musically inclined, they'll have a music session. They always have music playing in the dining rooms, and they have dance sessions occasionally. They have birthday parties once a month for everyone whose birthday is that month. They also have rooms where residents' families can have private parties if they want. This is a big facility, so the only downside is that they might be colder with their residents as they are at most big places. I don't know if that's true at this place, though.

Photos of The Citadel Senior Living

Services & Amenities of The Citadel Senior Living

• Minimum Rate: $2080/month

• Pets: All Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: AL6875

About The Citadel Senior Living

The Citadel is a senior living community in Mesa, AZ that provides the gamut of senior living options, from independent living apartments to nursing care. The community is designed to help seniors transition from independent living to assisted living with ease. On staff are registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and certified nursing assistants, and residents can receive a wide range of assistance and health services here. Residents are also encouraged to socialize and take care of their health and wellness, with a variety of organized activities.

DAILY CARE

Nurses provide care for the community’s assisted living residents and nursing care residents, depending on their needs. Many residents receive help with daily activities such as grooming, bathing and dressing. They also help manage residents’ medication schedules. Nurses are on call around the clock in the event of a medical emergency.

Filling prescriptions is convenient here at the community’s pharmacy. Physical therapy is also available on-site.

FACILITIES AND AMENITIES

Citadel Mesa offers spacious, wheelchair-accessible studio apartments, and one and two-bedroom residences. Amenities include cable TV, a pool, and laundry and housekeeping services. The community provides shuttle service to local sites and parking, plus an on-site barbershop and salon.

Many reviewers have praised the cuisine at Citadel Mesa and have compared the main dining room to a restaurant. The community has an array of dining rooms, with the main one located on the ground floor. Residents can also opt for room service. Other on-site amenities include a community library and a bank.

ACTIVITIES

Residents can stay fit at the community’s fitness center, or at an on-site putting green for those who prefer the outdoors. Residents also have the opportunity to take part in organized outings to nearby restaurants, shopping complexes and other local spots.

Citadel Mesa residents have lots of opportunities to socialize and learn with bridge, bingo and card games, and classes that teach cooking or arts. The facility assesses each resident to learn how they prefer to socialize. The community also hosts church services of various denominations.

Map of The Citadel Senior Living