The Laurels & The Haven in Highland Creek

Overview of Ratings

3.8

June 21, 2015

By Jennifer105828450

The Haven was nice, and the rooms were like you are in your own little home; it had a chair and a bed. They had ice cream socials, bingo, gardening, and outings or trips. The food was good, the dining is set up nicely, and the family can eat with them. The staff was good, I never met anyone who didn’t have a smile on their face, and they really had the best interest of the people.

May 16, 2015

By Shirley106601650

At the Laurels, it was a different vibe. The residents seemed to be a little older, and even though some of them that I actually saw were impaired, they were up and around with canes and walkers. It was after their lunch hour, and I thought they were going back to their rooms or over to the activities that they had planned for the day, so I really didn't get a chance to talk to too many of the residents. But it was a clean, well-cared for place with a sunny and warm feeling, and the staff was very nice. They were exceptionally nice to me as far as I am concerned because at that time, I had a walking problem, so they politely gave me a wheelchair, and I was able to get around that way. That, of course, limited me to just certain areas where I could go. I wasn't able to really go outside around the grounds, but I saw one room because I was interested in a two-bedroom apartment, and they only had one available that I could see, so I only saw that one. My daughter-in-law -- who accompanied me -- was taking around, and she said that it was very nice. They had crafts and different things or activities going on. It is a warm atmosphere.

April 19, 2015

The Laurels & The Haven in Highland Creek was our second choice. It was The Haven part that we looked at. Everything was awesome about the community. They have a different philosophy -- they provide each patient's needs instead of general -- which is fascinating. Right now, it kind of looks old, but they are in the process of renovation. They had the nicest bathing area as far as safety. They had nice tablecloths and used solid color plates.

April 14, 2015

The Laurels was very nice, clean and spacious. The staff was very helpful, informative, and professional. I was very pleased. The dining room is very nice, open, and nice size. They have movies and bingo, they go out shopping, and they bring church services in. It seemed to be a very secure and safe place as well.

February 20, 2015

By Nicole11

The Laurels was really nice. It was actually located very close to the mall. I was very pleased, the rooms were very nice, but it didn't have an open feeling. The staff were great, very attentive, friendly, extremely knowledgeable, and helpful.

February 12, 2015

The rooms were small at The Laurels, but the staff was really nice. I saw a little bit of the menu. My mom has dementia, and if I move her there and my mom’s dementia gets worse, they will again move her to another facility.

Thank you for your recent visit and taking a moment to share your thoughts. We are proud of our community and pleased that our menus and the warmth of our residents and staff made a positive impression. It seems that during your visit you might have viewed our studio apartment that is the smallest of our four floors plans. We do recognize that for some, this particular plan seems a bit on the cozier side and perhaps the larger one bedroom, or two bedroom at nearly 600 square feet might be a better fit. In conjunction with the many floor plan options, we are also fortunate to have both assisted living at the Laurels and our award winning, Bridge to Rediscovery, memory care at the Haven, both located on one convenient campus. Our Haven is its own neighborhood adjacent the Laurels as it is specifically designed to promote as much independence for our memory care residents as possible. Guest perspective always helps us to improve and we would like to invite you to come again to see all of our floor plans, visit the Haven neighborhood and experience our menu by joining us for a delicious meal. Thanks again for your review.

Steven Poole, The Laurels & The Haven in Highland Creek

February 28, 2014

By Lorrie2

The Haven was a real nice place. The staff was nice. The rooms might have been a little bit bigger, but they were nice and well. I like the fact that it's dedicated to memory care.

January 31, 2014

Mom has been at The Laurels & The Haven for a month now. My brother chose this facility because of it price; its affordable, and it's close to me. The staff at the facility seemed very nice and very helpful with her. It seems like it's working out fine right now. She is well fed and she's well taken care of. They are doing the things that needs to be done for her.

August 29, 2013

By CaringSon000285

I visited The Laurels and The Haven for my mother. It is a very nice facility. It is clean. Their rooms are nice. The staff is friendly. They also have many activities for their residents. I would recommend this place.

May 31, 2013

By caring5698

The place was excellent. I liked that it has a beauty parlor and a laundry room inside the facility. The only thing I didn't like about The Laurels is the price. The cost is too high. The rooms are small and not all the people there are friendly.

May 29, 2013

By Martha B.

My Mom has been a resident at The Laurels for over a week. I have nothing but praise and high accolades for this facility and its staff. They have put smiles on her face and comfort and ease to her mind which she did not have living by herself. She enjoys sitting on the front porch with her new friends and loves going on outings on The Laurels' bus. I was impressed when I observed a lady at the front desk interacting with a resident that was sitting in the living room. She noticed a change in his demeanor and immediately called the nurse to tend to him. It was just some minor dizziness; however, he got immediate attention. The staff is very attentive to the residents and tries to meet their every need. If this were not so, then I do not believe you would see so many happy people living there. The Laurels in Highland Creek really do their best to make this a "Home Sweet Home" for their residents.

February 24, 2013

By Clara1

Laurels in Highland Creek is close to my home. My husband has been there since December. Their services meet our needs. They have in-house therapy, physical and occupational therapy. The setting was lovely, and grounds are well-kept. Overall, I felt like it was a top rate facility. But as would any senior care facilities, communication can always be better.

June 09, 2011

By anonymousll

Friend or relative of resident

The Laurels in Highland Creek is the place that our great aunt now calls "˜home'. My husband and I are her only close family and we visit with her at least 3 times a month. We live in Rock Hill, SC and this assisted living facility is only a short drive away in Charlotte, NC. Our aunt insists that we stop in at the on-site ice cream parlor during our visit, and she certainly doesn't have to twist our arms to get us to agree. This is a cozy little spot that is very nostalgic, and the ice cream is delicious. From the moment we arrive at the main entrance it is easy to see that there is a lot of care and devotion. The residents are always smiling and the facility is extremely neat and tidy. Even the carpets are kept clean and fresh despite being walked on by numerous guests and visitors. According to our aunt this devotion to duty definitely extends to each and every senior aged resident. She needs help to get dressed in the morning and she says she never feels rushed. When she requests assistance for other activities she rarely has to wait for more than a few minutes for someone to arrive. We are delighted in the quality of service, compassion and care that we have personally seen at The Laurels in Highland Creek.

March 31, 2009

By Rebekkah

I have had experience with both The Laurels (the assisted living section) and the Haven (the Alzheimer's section) over the past few years. At first, when my loved one was residing at The Laurels, I was very impresed. The facility was well managed by a woman names Lauren Bonner (sp). The food services were excellent, one that would rival most eating establishments today. And the facility seemed well maintained and clean. Over the past few years, my opinions have changed dramatically. The facility has taken a nose-dive in the administration, the staff are bitter and unhappy, the food is awful, etc. I believe this to be the result of the new Executive Director. Since taking this role, all services have gone down and in addition to the residents, several employees have passed away unexpectantly. I would be weary of placing my loved one here again ever. This place has unfortunately lost the "home feeling" and the caring it once had.

Let Us Search For You

• Golf
    • Pool
    • Tennis Courts
    • Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym

• Activities Extra: 4 Things You Need To Know About The Laurels: 1. All Of Our Residents Wear A Pendant With Gps Technology. If A Resident Needs Assistance They Can Push Their Pendent And Our Care Staff Knows Their Exact Location Within The Community. 2. Our Community Offers Physical, Occupational And Speech Therapy. Our Therapists Are Hired, Trained And Managed By The Laurels No Contracted Third Parties. 3. Our Dining Program Offers Restaurant Style Service. The Dining Room Is Open For A 2 Hour Window During Every Meal Time, And Our Residents Order Off A Menu. We Also Offer An "All Day" Dining Bistro Menu That Allows Residents To Order Something Off That Menu Any Time Of The Day. We Also Include 3 Snacks Per Day Hand Delivered By Our Care Team. 4. Our Community Is Located In The Beautiful Highland Creek Neighborhood. A Sprawling 1,900 Acre Community Complete With Swimming Pools, Tennis Courts, Hiking And Walking Trails, A Fishing Pond, Golf Course, And A Sports Complex

• Diabetic
    • Low Fat
    • Low Salt

• Staff Patient Ratio: 16:1 Al, 6:1 Mem Care

• State Licenses: HAL-060-106

About The Laurels & The Haven in Highland Creek

We've thought of everything at The Laurels in Highland Creek! The assisted living community is designed around individual neighborhoods, each with it's own personality fostering closeness within each residence. Each senior neighborhood contains a mixture of one- and two-bedroom, alcove, and studio apartments; each is handicap adaptable.

The Laurels in Highland Creek assisted living community is situated in a lovely master-planned community in northern Mecklenburg County amid beautifully-landscaped grounds, including parks, walking trails, and a championship golf course.

The Highland Creek Community offers resident access to a Golf Club, Racquet Club, Swim Club, and Sports Club and is only minutes away from great shopping venues.

The Haven is an assisted living residence designed, programmed, and staffed for individuals with early, middle, and late stages of Alzheimer's and dementia.

Tailored to enhance dignity and foster independence, The Haven has licensed, on-site nurses and offers a progressive approach, which encourages family participation through care planning, education, special events, and support groups.

Map of The Laurels & The Haven in Highland Creek