What to Consider About Assisted Living in Scotts Valley
Nestled in the foothills of the Santa Cruz mountains is Scotts Valley, California. This small community is just north of the city of Santa Cruz and approximately 30 miles south of busy San Jose and the Silicon Valley. The population is just 12,000, 14.7 percent of whom are seniors aged 60 and over.
Scotts Valley is home to three different assisted living facilities in the area, with a further 29 in nearby Santa Cruz. The State of California regulates assisted living facilities through the Department of Social Services, and the Senior Care Licensing Program licenses and monitors residential care facilities for the elderly and continuing care retirement communities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Scotts Valley
- Scotts Valley weather is temperate year-round, with little precipitation. July high temperatures average around 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and January lows are around 41 degrees. Seniors sensitive to extreme temperatures and those with health conditions alleviated by warm weather will likely be comfortable here.
- On a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the safest, the violent crime rate in Scotts Valley is 24.1, which is lower than the U.S. average of 31.8. Property crime rates are slightly lower than the national average as well. While much of this is petty theft and car-break-ins, seniors in assisted living are still advised to use caution, especially if traveling to San Jose.
Cost of living in Scotts Valley is more than twice the national average. While health care, utilities and grocery costs are on par with the rest of the country, housing is more than quadruple the U.S. average, which may affect assisted living costs. Seniors on a fixed income may want to consider other options.
- The Santa Cruz Metro provides fixed bus routes throughout Santa Cruz County, where Scotts Valley is located. Seniors over 62 and those with a qualifying disability are eligible for reduced fares.
- Scotts Valley has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Scotts Valley Senior Center, an organization that offers opportunities for seniors to enjoy companionship and indulge in hobbies or educational activities.
- The Scotts Valley area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Dominican Hospital - Dignity Health and Sutter Health - Scotts Valley Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Scotts Valley
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Scotts Valley start around $4,545 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Scotts Valley and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Scotts Valley
Senior citizens in Scotts Valley, as in all of California, as well as those with a qualifying disability, may be eligible for the Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), which is a Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waiver that was created by legislation that directed the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Scotts Valley
Scotts Valley and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Scotts Valley
Scotts Valley-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.