Spring Hills Somerset

473 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ, 08873

Reviews of Spring Hills Somerset

Josiah December 08, 2014

Overall I like the facility especially for the friendliness, cleanliness and programming and abilitiy to individualize memory care. Continued interaction with the medical, staffing and administration, as problems/issues arise is necessary. The memory care issues may not be resolved because of the disease progression. However, I have found that the discussion will sometimes generate an acceptable solution to the problematic scenario.

Dear Josiah, Thank you for your recent review of Spring Hills Somerset. I appreciate your very real feedback. We are dedicated to "Caring with a Commitment to Quality" and do our best to ensure high standards of care and services. While no one is perfect, your ability to understand that we work with our families to the best of our ability to resolve concerns are equally as high. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to the community's Executive Director or to me directly at 732-259-6841.

Caring95652550 October 06, 2014

I found that Spring Hills Somerset is a very good place. It was a very positive visit. I felt that the staff was very nice. In general, it was all very nice, and for me it was convenient. They do offer a lot of activities, but I know their memory care activities are limited. I just felt that they would give my husband the best care possible. The spokesperson that was there was very friendly and very helpful. The place is very cheerful looking. There's a lot of ground where people can walk and be safe. It's a nice looking, well-kept place. Of all the places that I've looked at, this facility would probably give my husband the best care.

Thank you for your kind words. We truly appreciate your positive review.

Earl4 November 20, 2013

The staff at Spring Hills was nice. They have bunch of activities to offer. Their rooms were big. The price was good and acceptable. Some places were almost $7000 to $8000 a month. Aside from that, they want us to have over two years' worth of money there, which is a lot of money. Then at the end, if we run out of money, and mom is still alive, they can't guarantee that they'll have a place for her. To me, that's crazy. Spring Hills, on the other hand, said that they would find a place for her. So I thought overall, they were pretty good.

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all reviews as they help us to better exceed your expectations.

Nicholas4 September 23, 2013

My wife is currently at Spring Hills. It is our choice because my daughter and son lives near the place and we want my wife to be in a place where there are people to take care of her. I like the facility. It is great and the staff is very nice.

Thank you for your feedback. We appreicate your positve review.

Mary65821250 August 01, 2013

We had a beautiful time on our tour at Springhills in Somerset. The staff was very cordial and professional. The director and the staff were always helpful to us. They were all out and about trying to get us assisted. They had activities like movies and karaoke which were very nice. They also had a store area within the facility.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We truly appreciate your review.

Marty H June 21, 2013

Our dad has been lving at Spring Hills for over a year now. The staff and management are caring and completely professional. The facility lays on beautiful and quiet land, is very clean, well kept, and the food is fantastic and of good variety. The most important aspect of this facility are the people that work at Spring Hills. We can't say enough good about them and we couldn't think of a better place for our dad to be living.

Thank you for your kind words. We truly appreciate your positive review.

Karen913 June 21, 2013

Spring Hills seems to be adequate for residents who are mentally fit and socially outgoing. The facility is clean and meals are plentiful and generally quite good. Many say that it is a good place and they like living there. For those who need more direction and support it is a stressful, frustrating and lonely place to live, and they get little support in managing day to day needs and activities. Wonderful-sounding promises are made by the sales staff, but they have little resemblance to reality. My relative had early dementia upon entering. The sales person had no sensitivity to her need for time to adjust to leaving her home of 45 years and pushed her to move with only one week's notice. There was no time to properly organize the move and prepare clothes and other necessities she would need for the rest of her life. Therefore the room was chaotic for weeks afterwards, needlessly adding to her stress and confusion. In addition, there was no time to notify friends and relatives of the move, so good-byes were not said. Promises were made by the sales person to check on my relative every two hours, to come get her and direct her to activities, to plan activities according to her interests, and to introduce her to other residents. I continue to try to get the staff to follow through on these promises. Many interesting and stimulating activities were promised, but there are actually many days when there are no activities planned of interest to my relative, so she remains alone in her room as she was alone and unstimulated back in her home. Further, many of the planned activities don't actually take place, or take place early without the change being effectively advertised. Trips are planned and canceled, due to weather or bus failure, and not rescheduled, leaving residents stranded inside the building There is no concept of hiring a bus so that trips can go forward. We were promised that the laundry would be picked up and returned weekly, with the aid putting the clothes and linens away upon return. Staff forget to put out the laundry for the service, then leave laundry overflowing the hamper and bathroom until the next scheduled service. Returned laundry is left on the bed and not put away. When I have tried to resolve some of these problems, I am treated coolly and do not get the courtesy of a phone call advising of the resolution. My relative sums up her experience by saying that the place "Is terribly disorganized." There seems to be no awareness of the special needs of people with early to moderate dementia. They are mainstreamed with the rest of the residents, in the assumption that their needs are the same (as explained to me by the sales person). Clearly, someone with dementia cannot function effectively in a normal environment without someone giving them individual attention and guiding them. (Note: There is a Memory Care Unit upstairs for those with more severe dementia that seems to be run with the needs of their special population better accommodated.)
I cannot recommend Spring Hills for people with mild to moderate dementia.

Thank you for your detailed review. Many changes have been made to make the experience more positive for everyone. If you feel this matter is unresolved, please contact us at 732-582-0400.

From Spring Hills Somerset

Spring Hills Somerset is proud of their accomplishment in being granted the distinction of Advanced Standing by the New Jersey Department of Health.

Spring Hills Somerset has proven their dedication to Caring with a Commitment to Quality by participating in the National Center of Assisted Living’s Quality Performance Measures Survey. This Advance Standing recognition means Spring Hills Somerset met the benchmarks for quality indicators as chosen by the Peer Review Panel of the Health Care Association of New Jersey Foundation.

Spring Hills Somerset provides premier assisted living in New Jersey. Located in Somerset County, Spring Hills is easily accessible from South, Central and Northern NJ. In addition, we are a supportive Alzheimer's care community. Distinguished among senior living communities, we demonstrate "Caring with a Commitment to Quality," by offering personalized Signature Touches, a set of programs and services unique to Spring Hills, along with all the comforts of home.

Practicing holistic health care, our experienced, professional associates are on hand 24 hours a day to assist you with your medical or personal needs. Our Director of Resident Care conducts wellness checks on a regular basis, to ensure that our holistic care continues to meet your changing needs.

The township is about 90 minutes from Philadelphia, about one hour from Manhattan and even closer to Princeton and Rutgers Universities. The township is also only an hour from beautiful seaside beaches and amusements. It is conveniently located less than ten minutes from downtown New Brunswick home of the State Theatre, George Street Playhouse and many upscale restaurants, the corporate offices for Johnson and Johnson, and it's the county seat for Middlesex County and of course, most notably, home to the main campuses of the colleges representing Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.

Franklin Township (Somerset) is an attractive community representing many areas of single family and multi-family home dwellings but at the same time one is never more than a few minutes from bucolic views. The historic Delaware and Raritan Canal passes through much of the town, and it affords fishing, canoeing and other activities all year-long. There are several excellent Somerset County golf courses in the township, as well as a number of notable historic sites and commissions dedicated to preserving a rich history that began in the 17th century when Dutch settlers arrived. The Dutch Reformed Church is well established in the community as well as many other religious affiliations representing a myriad of cultures.

Franklin Township boasts a fine school system, is readily accessible by major highways, rail links, and nearby airports. It represents the best in suburban living while offering the convenience of nearby metropolitan and country get-a-way adventures!

Features of Spring Hills Somerset

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• We charge an entry fee
  • Minimum memory care rate: $7,500/month

• Minimum age: 50

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living
  • We offer financial aid