I am concerned for Mom's safety, so how can I go about having her mental status determined?

2 answers | Last updated: Sep 26, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

How can I go about having my Mom's mental status determined. I really would like to talk with her doctor prior to taking her to see him. I'm really getting concerned about her safety.

Expert Answers

Jennifer Serafin, N.P. is a registered nurse and geriatric nurse practitioner at the Jewish Homes for the Aged in San Francisco.

I would recommend calling your mother's doctor ASAP and telling them your concerns. I am sure they will want to see your mother and assess her mental status themselves to see if there is an issue. If they find something abnormal, they can refer her to a neurologist or memory clinic for a more in-depth evaluation.

Community Answers

Momma ruth answered...

i did take her to her family Dr. but he says he has to see her several more times befor he makes his recomonditions i guess i canunderstand that but he knows she has dementis and altzhimer he told it to us.see with out that paper i dont have power of attorney, so i cant do much finc. so this has been on my husband andi and he is on disablity our selfs and i cant work so i have no income so we in catch twenty two but something will work i know