The Forum at Desert Harbor

13840 North Desert Harbor Dr., Peoria, AZ, 85381

Reviews of The Forum at Desert Harbor

Anonymous111738150 November 16, 2015

We visited The Forum at Desert Harbor. I didn’t like this facility at all. It was old and looked kind of shabby. I didn’t like anything about this place.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We welcome all feedback and appreciate your input. The team at The Forum at Desert Harbor takes great pride in both our beautiful community and the care we provide to our residents on a daily basis. We are truly sorry you did not have a wonderful experience when you visited.

I would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding your perception of our campus, and give your concerns the attention they deserve. I would like to extend an invitation for you to come and have lunch with me so I can better understand what you are looking for in a Senior Living Community. Please call me at 623-972-0995 Judy Clements, Executive Director.

Anonymous112029750 August 21, 2015

We did visit the Forum. Maybe at a different time in my life I would prefer it, but it was not the friendly positivity that I got in this place. I thought they were very much concerned with appearances and having a variety of different places. I think they had some floors for assisted and other floors for whatever they were, and that took away from the friendly attitude. It was very clean, and maybe there was that too much worry about this -- the cleanliness -- instead of maybe entertainment or shows or whatever. I had been there before because a lady in our lunch group had lived there, so when it was her turn to choose a restaurant, she took us there, and it was very nice. The dining room was a little more formal, I think. I saw that some of the rooms were too small, even if you are just by yourself. They had a small one that the bedroom was about big enough for a twin bed and possibly a dresser, but it didn't have anything that made you feel like you wanted to go to bed and have a nice rest. The staff was knowledgeable, and they knew their business. A lot of it seemed to be going over my head, I wasn't just grasping everything they were telling me, but again I was looking for a different kind of place at that time, and if I was in a different mood, it could have felt differently.

I am the Executive Director and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our community. I am sorry to hear that you did not experience the friendly atmosphere you were seeking during your recent visit to the Forum at Desert Harbor. Friendliness is of the utmost importance to us, and our staff has recently been involved in continuous customer service training through our cooperation Five Star Senior Living.

We are a large campus that offers continuum of care to residents with multiple care needs. This includes Independent and Assisted Living apartments and our Healthcare Department that offers skilled nursing needs, dietary specialist, and therapy.

I would love to have you come by for lunch or dinner with me. Feel free to call and make arrangements to join me. Thank you for your consideration, Judy Clements.

Jackie40 June 30, 2015

We like the food. They have a lake and the view is beautiful. The Forum is just amazing. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They got nice rooms and apartments. It isn't the most up-to-date kitchen, but everything else is nice, clean, and very fresh. They have a workout facility, a walkway around the lake which was one of the reasons we chose it, and they have a putt and green. My father moved in today.

Joan107297750 May 17, 2015

The Forum at Desert Harbor is very well kept, and the people are very happy. The food is excellent. I feel very safe and secure here. They seem to have people watching around most of the time. They have a house cleaner who comes in once a week in the apartments. They have all kinds of activities going on all the time.

Carollee1 May 13, 2015

The Forum at Desert Harbor is very nice, but it is not where we want to be. The staff is very nice, and it is a beautiful place, but I don't think it is what we want. It is too much like an apartment house. As for activities, I don't think we really saw that many. I know they have some, but I don't remember them now.

B_D April 28, 2015

I was extremely disappointed with the level of care that my father received at this facility.

He had a stroke approximately 4 years prior and was coming from a facility that did not have skilled nursing. Upon examining The Forum at Desert Harbor's facilities and reviews I believed it would be a good fit for his needs.

In the month that he was there, they kept my father on a puree diet because they said they could not clear him for solid foods (even though I repeatedly asked them to work with him so they could). We also had to fight for them to get him up from bed for eating and to keep him hydrated.

I asked for them to repeatedly work with him in occupational and physical therapy but they said they could "only do so much" and his state declined while he was there.

Finally, my Mother brought to their attention that he did not appear to be doing well and that "something's wrong" and it took another day before they called 911 and had him transported to Boswell with a urinary tract infection, a fever, and a blood clot in his arm. Boswell staff reported that they believed he was not being taken care of properly and that he had sores from not being cleaned.

We have since moved him, and in the week that he's been at his new facility he is sitting up straight, able to communicate, and has been cleared to eat solid foods. HE IS IN A MUCH BETTER PLACE NOW.

I am the Executive Director and I am sincerely interested in speaking to you. We strive to deliver clinical excellence in a warm and nurturing environment. I would like to address your concerns to help put your mind at ease. For meals, we are obligated to follow the physician’s orders. We work with Speech Therapy, our consulting Dietician, our Dietary Technician and the doctor to serve the appropriate diet for each individual’s safety and nutrition. Our dining team goes to a great deal of effort to make the presentation of all special diets appetizing. We know that skin integrity is very important and we do an initial assessment for any skin issues upon admission, weekly Braden Scale assessment and skin checks; as well as checks during showers. Likewise, we track fluid intake with meals and monitor for signs of dehydration. For therapy, we evaluate on an ongoing basis for progress. If progress is not being made, we will recommend that therapy be discontinued and that we do another evaluation after a period of time. Our therapists do specialize in seniors and we are proud of their excellent outcomes. We review the care of our residents with their Primary Care Physicians on a regular basis to be sure that we are doing our best and to address any recommended modifications. The health and comfort of our residents and the satisfaction of our families is very important to us. Please call me or stop by so that we can have a conversation. My door is always open. Thank you for your consideration.

Brett Hobbs, Executive Director, The Forum at Desert Harbor

Anonymous105813850 April 22, 2015

The Forum was fantastic. It was beautiful, and the rooms were gorgeous. They had patios that were around the golf course and a lake. The people were very friendly, but it was more than I could afford.

Caring105170450 April 17, 2015

The Forum was quite a bit more expensive; I couldn’t afford it. It was right on $4000 a month before I added my wife.

Thank you so much for visiting The Forum at Desert Harbor and for giving us Five Stars. We have a number of pricing options to accommodate a variety of budgets. I am confident that we can offer you an apartment for less than the price mentioned. It is always a challenge when investigating senior living to compare the pricing of the different communities and to compare to the true cost of staying at home. At The Forum- our residents enjoy Five Star dining, a full complement of services and amenities as well as an excellent transportation program and a calendar filled with social, cultural, recreational and wellness selections. This is all included in our pricing which gives our residents great value for their monthly fee. Our residents tell us that our retirement lifestyle and our lovely location on the lake make us priceless. We encourage you to visit again soon!

Caring103983650 April 10, 2015

They put my mother into a guest suite in the independent side of The Forum at Desert Harbor. That night, she fell and they put her onto the assisted living side. It was horrible. The facility was awful. The food wasn't good at all, and the menu was really pathetic. They were single rooms. The medical director did what she could, but it was really not the optimum place for my mother, and there were enough things there that I didn't feel good about.

Thank you for your feedback. We value your input and share your concern. To better serve you, we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience. Our dedicated staff is committed to providing the utmost care and services to all residents. Your feedback helps us identify areas of opportunity for us to focus on as we strive to uphold and improve the quality of standards that each resident deserves.

Brett Hobbs, Executive Director, The Forum at Desert Harbor

Michael83886450 November 28, 2014

The Forum at Desert Harbor would have been a perfect fit for mom if she had changed her mind and decided that she wanted to stay with family. The staff was excellent, and there were all kinds of activities. They had boat rides she could do, and she could even have a visitor come since they had special rooms where the visitors could stay. There were chances to have family come and eat there with her. There were all kinds of activities for socializing and for entertainment. It was a great place. It was very clean and very friendly.

Caring95971950 October 19, 2014

The Forum at Desert Harbor was on a little lake and for people that were independent, they had an outdoor pool and that was attractive. I had lunch at the assisted living and it was all right. The staff was very nice and helpful. I looked at that again for independent living. It was a continuing place. If you started out there, then they would see you right through the end of your life without increasing the rate very much. It had more than one building, but it wasn't a huge place and it was all together. They were also not far or just a few minutes from Boswell Hospital, which was a very good hospital where there were a lot of good doctors. There was also a medical clinic which was just down the street.

Caring2349 October 03, 2014

The Forum at Desert Harbor is an exquisite facility and so very well located. But we could not access it as easily as we could although it was a little better for her mother. The staff was good, on-time, and we know how they function. The rooms themselves were adequate for what we need, and they’re not unlike other ones. Mostly facilities of that type are pretty much the same the level of care giving.

Caring88292250 October 03, 2014

In March of this year, I moved my aunt who is 91 years old into the assisted area of The Forum. From day one to this day, I have been nothing but satisfied with the community. I am completely satisfied from the staff to the rooms. The staff especially is amazing. I went to see my aunt everyday for two and a half months. Now, I visit her three to four times a week. That is why I'm very familiar with the community and its staff. I sit and have lunch with my aunt. I even play bingo with her. I also take her out sometimes. They have fashion shows there. They also have live music every Friday. I am glad that I am part of the activities there. From the very beginning, it has been a wonderful experience with The Forum at Desert Harbor. It is a wonderful place to live in.

David88035950 July 25, 2014

I was very impressed with the Forum, and at the time I looked at their assisted living quarters. Now my mom would be going to a different side. The area that I saw, I was very impressed with. I really liked it. Very clean. The staff was terrific, because they helped me with another agency to do in-home. I can't say enough about them and that whole place. If I had my way, and we had the funds, that's a place I would consider strongly. It's a large community. The room was perfect for her; it was small. It was close to the restaurant, and had all the guards and stuff like that that she would need for showering.

Caring10071 May 30, 2014

We visited The Forum at Desert Harbor because it was close and available. The whole place was big and suitable for what we would have needed. It was really nice, but I didn't have that kind of money. The staff were really nice, but I didn't think they knew all of what they were talking about. They showed us the assisted living wing, but I was more interested in the independent living wing. The dining rooms looked nice, but I was not able to try the food.

CaringSon3 September 12, 2013

We found a place called The Forum at Desert Harbor and we're going to move my mom in there. We decided on this place because they have the combination of care we were looking for. They offer an assisted living facility and a nursing home facility, so when the time comes when she needs more care, then we can do it right in that same place. It is a very nice facility. It is actually beside a lake so you got a nice view and it is very relaxing. I also like the accommodations that they have. They have a number of different styles of apartments. The staff is very helpful. Their basic rate includes all the services except medication management. Just going on what we know so far, I would recommend this place to others.

Marion7 April 09, 2013

My mother-in-law is happy at The Forum. It's expensive but she loves it. She likes the food and the amenities. She's in the independent living part of it. It's very, very nice.

avalonr February 06, 2013

With regard to memory care, the facility will say it can provide for memory care patients but ONLY if they are not mobile (wheelchair bound or bedridden). There are no secure (locked) facitilities here so if your loved one is mobile (wandering) this is not the place for them. The marketing staff told us they provided memory care. So when I moved my father into the skilled nursing facility and he was wandering, they forced us to pay $150 per night for a sitter to watch him and of course we had to scramble to move him to another facility. My mom was in respite care (assisted living, will review separtely) at the same time and a lady with alzheimers was being seated in the dining room by herself because no one wanted to talk to her and then the family ended up having to move her to another facility. So in summary, there is no memory care but they will take your memory care loved ones if they are not mobile and cannot wander. So I would not look at this place at all for a loved one with memory care needs because you will probably end up having to move them which is never a good thing for a memory care patient. Yes, the grounds are beautiful and my dad loved the food.

matthewbair16 June 27, 2012

The forum at desert harbor is awesome. It is very well done and they take great care of the residents. My grandma always loves the meals and loves the employees. The rooms are very spacious and very nice and neat. Everyone is friendly and helps out every one. The had great meals all day long. My grandma talked about how great the food is. this is amazing because she is a very picky eater. I have always said that if you can get my grandma to enjoy the food, you are doing something well. I even went and ate with her one time and the food was enjoyable to me. The staff took really good care of my grandma and were very helpful to us. I would recommend this assisted living facility to anyone because of how well the treated my grandma and the other residents that lived in. Also, if they feed people well, that is a huge plus and they did that at the forum of desert harbor.

sarana April 18, 2012

Loved the complex, very similar to an apartment setting like she was used to. The facility was set up by divisions depending on needs. Very clean. When m grandmother moved in they helped her arrange her furniture and had a welcoming party for all new guests for the month. THe staff got her involved in activities that she enjoys and did everything they could to make her feel welcome. She doesn't tell people she is in assisted living she is in heaven. SHe has been there for about 6 months now and when I visit she has a smile on her face and tells me how glad she is to be there. The only negative I would say is that they are understaffed at times so priorities are meds, rounds and greatest need.

vwflores April 13, 2012

The Forum at Desert Harbor is a high-quality facility in Peoria, Arizona. I am a visitor to this facility at least once per month and have eaten in the residential dining room multiple times. The food quality is what would be expected from such a facility: reasonable quality, not much variety, but better than many of the surrounding areas. The public areas and grounds appear to be well-maintained, and there are regular events scheduled for the residents. My one major complaint is that the facility is slow to perform and follow-up on maintenance requests made by the residents. My grandmother has had multiple issues with cockroaches, and nothing will be done by the management until I or another family member goes to complain on her behalf. Likewise, they are slow to get basic maintenance requests fulfilled. We have had to intercede to have toilets and A/C vents looked at on various occasions. I rate the facility at 3 stars, though, because these events do seem to be spread out and otherwise they appear to take great care of my grandmother and the other residents in the building.

From The Forum at Desert Harbor

The Forum at Desert Harbor offers compassionate senior care in Peoria, AZ. We strive to create a home-like atmosphere where you and your loved ones can feel secure. Our warm, well-trained staff works closely with our residents to provide the utmost care and comfort. As part of the Five Star corporation, you can be sure that everyone at The Forum at Desert Harbor shares the Five Star Values, and is committed to a high level of caring in all that they do. Please schedule a visit to see why we are the first choice in senior care in Peoria, AZ.

We are the only Senior Living Community on a lake, our leisure lifesyle calendar is filled with a variety of off-site and on-site activities.

Features of The Forum at Desert Harbor

• 24 hour nurses: Yes

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Pool
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)
  • Dining extra: Meals are delivered without fee if ill up to 5 times.

• Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental

• Staff patient ratio: 9 to 1
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 50+