Oak Park Arms

408 S Oak Park Ave., Oak Park, IL, 60302

Reviews of Oak Park Arms

September 30, 2016

By Bill088477

My visit at Oak Park Arms was a good experience. There was an exercise room and a salon. They had a lot of activities for the residents.

September 10, 2016

By Mary V.

Be careful before signing the lease. The management has you sign an addendum about medical care. If it is so important, put it in the lease. They conveniently left it out of the docs they copied for me, so I was operating without all the pertinent documents for six months. If you or your loved one have a medical emergency that requires you to leave Oak Park Arms, they will charge you for two more months of rent. It doesn't matter that they can't provide adequate care, or if you have three medical professionals and all the 24/7 caregivers they required, who say the facility is not adequate for needed care. They even had the audacity to say that if my mother had died, they wouldn't have required the two extra months rent. I would have been better off under the lease, if my mother had DIED, in other words. Furthermore, they will keep your security deposit without giving any itemized receipts of damage caused. They refused to return the deposit based on their guestimates of damage, and refused to work with the renter's insurance agent. Lastly, they were unjustly enriched, because they rented the apartment while collecting rent from my mother. They are nothing but moneygrubbers, always looking out for ways to get more from the tenants. They now require renters to do an automatic account withdrawal to get their rent more quickly and without the renter having control. This review is about the management staff, not the people who actually do the work. They were very nice, sensitive people.

July 01, 2016

By Patricia125733

We visited Oak Park Arms. The place is very nice, but it’s overpriced. We saw the rooms and they were really small, but the staff was nice. They were very helpful. Overall, it’s a small and old place.

May 11, 2016

By Claudia23

Oak Park Arms is really nice with a barber shop, a beauty shop, a restaurant. The apartments are huge as can be. They have a lot of activities. If I were to retire today and dedide to live out of my house, I would live there. The apartment is just extremely cute. They have bingo and Tai chi. What I really like about this place is once a month, they are allowed to speak their minds on what their concerns are and what they want different. The staff are very nice and helpful.

March 28, 2016

By Caring Daughter122173750

We put our mother in Oak Park Arms for a short time and were very pleased with the facility. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The administrators were very supportive. The rooms were fine. The reason we chose that for my relative over other places was because she lived in Chicago, and this had a little bit more of the city atmosphere about it. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

December 28, 2015

By Kathie P

We visited Oak Park Arms, and the lady who met us was very nice. It had a place for dancing and a piano. The apartments had an apartment feel. The price was acceptable. It was my aunt’s first choice, but it was too far away from us. Their dining area was more like a restaurant with a menu and very pleasant. They have lots of activities with some even open to the public.

October 31, 2015

By Joseph46

People here at Oak Park have been very friendly and very open to different things. It’s an older community for me. The rooms are small; I'm basically in a large closet because that’s what I can afford, but it’s nice, and they keep it well maintained. The food portion is small for me, but for the old people, it’s OK because they can’t eat as much as they used to. The staff member are very congenial, care about the residents and try hard.

June 25, 2015

Oak Park Arms was an old hotel that they converted into a retirement home. The person who interview me did a very nice job. They seemed to be very thorough and seemed to have some nice personnel there. The place seemed well-organized. It was a nice place with good food. They also seemed to have a lot of activities there. It's a nice place if you want to go out for a walk to nearby stores in the area. They take you to doctor's appointments too. They have small rooms but I don't think I need much space. They also have rooms downstairs for activities, TV and bingo. They have special evenings with music or dancing. They bring in lecturers for talks. They play games and get people involved.

March 07, 2015

My mother is in Oak Park. Her room was efficient. She has a bed, a dresser, a bathroom, a closet, and a small refrigerator, but they do not give her a bath. I have tried their food, and between a one and a nine, I would say it is about a five. One thing I like about them is that she is happy right now. They have a lot of activities like live entertainment.

December 26, 2014

By Annette15

My visit with Oak Park Arms was good. It was an older building, which was kind of quaint. I like it because they have music piped in there. The dining area was OK. The apartments were very bright, but they didn't have skilled nursing and that was the downside about this place. However, what I like about Oak Parks was that they have a ballroom there and music. They have a lot of activities for the seniors -- like musical activities -- so that seemed good. The staff was very friendly.

March 01, 2014

I like Oak Park Arms. It was little less upscale. It was not quite as elegant as the other facility. But on the other hand, that's part of what I find attractive, that it was not too polished. I think it is probably a little more affordable. My podiatrist has an office in there. That is another location that I would consider. It is only a couple of blocks from where I'm living now. It is in a very convenient location under any circumstances. I didn't see as many people that I know, although I do know some of the people who live there. I did tour the apartments, and they seemed nice.

August 13, 2013

By Nancy65389450

Oak Park Arms was great. That's the place that my mom would live in. There were a lot of people around, lots of residents, and everybody was friendly. It's a very well involved community. They had a ton of activities. They had kitchens and studios, so if you wanted to cook you could get a room where you could cook. You don't have to buy a meal plan which was very nice and it made the rate really low. The staff was great.

June 17, 2013

By caring0543

My mother-in-law is getting the right care at Oak Park Arms and we're very happy with it. We like it very much. The overall quality that she is receiving in care is much to our liking.

January 09, 2012

By Caring201973

I really liked this facility and would highly recommend it. When I drove up to the place I was a bit concerned because I had to either pay for parking (which is nominal I must admit) or find street parking which was difficult on a Saturday morning. The facility is in a busy area on Oak Park avenue. However, once inside it is like being transported back in time. Oak Park Arms is 90 years old and used to be a luxury hotel. The common areas have high ceilings, ornate chandeliers and beautiful rugs. The facility is going through a renovation so there isn't any furniture in the lobby right now and some of the rooms are being renovated. What I did see on the first floor was very inviting. There is an art gallery, library with three computers and a huge ballroom which seems like a throwback to another era. Apparently there is dancing on some Sunday evenings with Seymour's Big Band, and in the summer they host a "Big Prom." Every month they host a birthday party. There is also a patio room with an enclosed outdoor deck to be used in the summer time and I am told there is a rooftop deck as well, but is now being renovated. The dining room on the main floor seemed very inviting. Three meals are included in the price of the assisted living and residents can chose from different entrees at mealtime. There is also a beauty shop and a barber shop for men. I was told that the barber had been the main barber from the Palmer House hotel. I looked at a furnished one bedroom apartment. It was roomy with two bathrooms (that is kind of astonishing). The appliances looked a bit old fashioned, but that may change with the renovation. The hallways were clean, although similar to an old hotel, a little musty. That will also probably change with the renovation. There are also laundry rooms and for people in assisted living they have their own eating area, although they can choose to go to the main dining room on the first floor. The one thing that I did not like was that while the facility had a lot to offer in terms of culture and social activities, I did not think it was as inclusive religiously. For example, there was a Christmas tree, but no menorah for Chanukah, and the facility offers Christian religious services, but not Jewish (although there is a bus that takes people to synagogues as well as churches in the area). I thought the receptionist very nice and one of the staff (I think she was the activities director) was helpful. Overall I thought this was really a lovely and welcoming place and I wouldn't hesitate to move there myself. I especially liked that it seems well integrated in the community with all kinds of people volunteering their gifts and talents

September 30, 2011

By John S.

This is a pretty darn nice little home for the elderly. It is located in the lovely and historical Oak Park neighborhood, surrounded by homes influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright, great old trees, and cheerful parks. The exterior is pleasant and inviting, and inside you will find a very clean, welcoming environment that strives to make its tenants as comfortable and happy as possible. We took my great aunt to stay here as she became dependent in her old age, and I'm content with out choice.The staff here is warm and caring, they always approach with a smile and hands extended. My aunt seems very happy there and that is the most important part of all. I don't get to visit her as much as I'd like to, but luckily the administration there is very good about keeping our family up to date on her condition. They report any notable incidents regarding her physical and mental well being and help her with the phone and even the computer to help us stay in touch with her. If anyone in the area is seeking a reliable, safe haven for an elderly friend or relative, I would highly recommend Oak Park Arms.

Photos of Oak Park Arms

Features of Oak Park Arms

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• Psychiatric Care

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: More Than 300 Events A Month Including Live Music In Our Ballroom.

• Licenses: Licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health

About Oak Park Arms

The Oak Park Arms is a senior independent living and assisted living rental retirement community located in historic Oak Park, Illinois, just minutes from downtown Chicago.

No other senior living retirement community in the Oak Park, River Forest or Forest Park area can match the outstanding value, convenience and vibrant lifestyle at the Oak Park Arms. Residents enjoy a myriad of social events and activities, flexible restaurant dining with a menu of abundant choices, and welcoming and comfortable living accommodations.

The Oak Park Arms affords its residents as full a life as they wish. A resident can create a day as exciting – or as relaxing – as he or she wishes. The word “choices” applies to just about everything, and at the Arms, there is an abundance of appealing options.

Events and activities abound. From listening to a jazz concert to taking a tap dance class, from a current events lecture to an art exhibit, there are things to do. If you don’t want to partake in the plethora of events, that’s fine, too. A day reading the paper and napping can be as pleasurable as seeing a radio reenactment performed, sound effects and all.

The point is … Your life at the Arms is custom made – by you!

The Oak Park Arms retirement community was once a famous luxury hotel. In the mid-1970′s, the Arms was purchased by two friends who wanted to create active retirement living in a community that would be full of life, service and spirit. That vision and the two friends’ in-depth experience created The Arms of today.

Now with more than 35 years of experience, the Oak Park Arms has been the leader of senior living and the model in developing other senior communities combining exceptional senior care in an ideal setting.

The Arms has been able to share space with the Oak Park Township Senior Services, the Lifelong Learning Center (the local Senior Center) and provide office space for over 10 other providers of senior-centered care. Winner of awards, the Oak Park Arms has maintained its original charm and vision of being an affable and affordable home for older adults and a great resource to Oak Park and surrounding towns such as River Forest, Forest Park, Berwyn, Cicero, Riverside, Elmwood Park, Maywood and Chicago. The Oak Park Arms’ events and activities draw people of all ages. The large scale ballroom is frequently alive with “the sound of music” at monthly ballroom dances for residents and the public. The Oak Park Arms, an industry leader, provides unsurpassed services, amenities and programs.

The original vision continues to this day as the Oak Park Arms is still owned and operated by the same two men who created it. They remain involved and committed to excellence. Their strong support to the management staff ensures that the Arms continues its legacy of distinction.

Oak Park Arms Mission Statement:

To provide the highest degree of service in an environment for living where each resident can celebrate life and pursue areas of personal, social and recreational interest.

We are in Independent and Assisted Living community focused on servicing the individual. We pride ourselves on delivering excellence to all of residence.

Map of Oak Park Arms