Does my mother have rights to her husband's Social Security?

Dixiebell asked...

My parents were married close to 35 years then he left and lived with another woman but did not marry her. Does my mother have any rights to his Social Security or pension? He made more than she did.

I have a similar question, but we were togther 4 years and married 26 total 30 and he had an affair for 12 yrs and then married her after our divorce and left me w/o child support/ alimony and pension. I AM NOW DISABLED THE LAST 6 YEARS AND MUST REMAIN VERY CALM SEVERE NERVE DMG. Served final papers and I never went to court to the hearing.

I believe the benifts you were to receive needed to be worked out at the time of the divorce. Now it is to late unless you both agree to a change.

No if you were married 10 years or more, You can collect on his Social Security. Only if his is higher than yours. You can only do one or the other.