Is there a way to transfer my parents to a nursing home while applying for benefits in another state?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 25, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

My sister in another state and is not well. She wants me to transfer my parents from the nursing home there to a nursing home here. My mother has Alzheimer's and is living there with the assistance of medicare and medicaid. My step-dad is a vet and has veteran's benefits,medicare and medicaid. This is the only money they have and we don't have much to be able to help out. Is there a way to transfer them to a nursing home here while we are applying for benefits in this state?

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for

Medicare and veterans benefits are both federal programs. So those will continue through and after the move. You need to notify them of your parents' new address. Medicaid is administered by each state and you will need to reapply in your state. Ask the nursing home if they will accept your parents "Medicaid pending". That means they will admit them and wait for Medicaid to be approved. You should start on the new Medicaid application as soon as possible. That way, you will be ready to submit it when they make the move. Contact your County Board of Social Services to get the wheels turning.