Is there any financial assistance program that would give my money to remodel her bathroom for our elderly father?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Nanpat asked...

My father's health is failing and he is not fully capable to care for himself. He has difficulty walking and very feeble. My sister is considering taking him into her home. However, her only bath with a walk in shower is very small. She would have to remodel the bathroom to enlarge the shower for him to sit on a chair and bathe. Is there any program that would give her monetary assistance in remodeling her bathroom for our father?

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for

There are several resources available to help home owners remodel to accommodate disabled persons. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers grants and low-interest remodeling to disabled homeowners in lower-income brackets. In this case, the disabled person is a family member. The reality is that grant money is minimal and there is a long waiting list, usually more than a year. So that leaves low-interest government-backed or private mortgages.

Fannie Mae offers a Home Choice mortgage to help disabled persons remodel using a low-interest rate loan. They will lend up to 115% of the property's value.

Depending on where your sister lives, there may be city or state programs to help with remodeling for disabled persons. The best way to find out about these resources is to contact your local housing office and speak with a HUD counselor.