Should a person who has had a major hemorrhage stroke take aspirin?

Should a person who has had a major hemorrhage stroke take aspirin. Your advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if this question is from the same person who asked a very similar question recently. I assume it probably is. However, in case it is not, the general rule is that someone who had a hemorrhagic stroke would not typically be treated with aspirin unless they also have a history of heart attack or other ischemic vascular event such as an ischemic stroke (different than a hemorrhagic stroke). If aspirin is indicated, it is crucially important that the blood pressure be extremely well controlled to limit the chance of another hemorrhage.

For further details, please see my other response from today on a very similar question. I will assume this is the same person asking the question.

Good luck!!

Handiann answered...

Can't you call the person's doctor? That would be much better than asking a general question on here. My understanding (I am NOT a medical person) is that with a hemorragic stroke you wouldn't want to take anything that would further thin the blood -- which aspirin would do. But call the doctor involved to be sure! This could be life and death.

Sandrakg answered...

The doctor dad has advised him to take aspirin daily. His CT scan (2 weeks ago) shows there is still blood at the site of the stroke. His doctor will not give him an MRI to check his brain or an ultrasound for a swollen leg, says they are unnecessary. I don't think dad's doctor knows much about major hemorrhage strokes and it really worries me. However, the taking of aspirin every day as a way of avoiding another major hemorrhage stroke really worried me, hence my question here. I keep hoping if I tell dad what he should be doing he will change his doctor, in the meantime I keep trying to find the real facts. Thanks for your reply. Sandra

Handiann answered...

Here's some interesting info:

Good luck with getting some good info from a knowledgeable doc. Maybe a doctor will respond here. It is worrisome, particularly if your dad's doc isn't experienced with hemorraghic strokes. My dad had an ischemic stroke and eventually recovered to about 90%. So I know it's very scary to go through.