(800) 973-1540

How do I get adult guardianship in Georgia for a dependent adult son?

2 answers | Last updated: May 20, 2010
guatanabe asked...
I live in Decatur, Georgia. How do I get adult guardianship of my son? He has cerebral palsy and can't fend for himself.

Caring.com User - Barbara Kate Repa
Caring.com Expert
Send a Hug or Prayer
Send a Hug or Prayer
Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in...

First make sure you want and need what you seek. An adult guardianship or conservatorship is a fairly drastic measure, but can be set up after a judge decides that See also:
What's the emergency procedure for obtaining durable power of attorney for finance or health care?
a person can't take care of individual personal care and finances.

The person or people named to act as a conservator on behalf of the incapacitated older person will then be responsible for ensuring:

* appropriate housing
* health and medical care
* food and clothing
* housekeeping and personal care
* transportation and recreation, and
* legal counsel in all legal matters.

If a conservator is also appointed for the person’s estate will also be responsible for:

* managing all aspects of the person’s finances
* protects all assets
* applying for benefits, and
* paying bills.

Your first stop for good information about specifics for filing and possible legal help with it would be the Decatur Probate Court, which handles such matters.

You may also get some referrals and information about possible alternatives from United Cerebral Palsy of Georgia.


More Answers
Ask a question Ask a question | Add an answer Add an answer