Can I find out if a doctor is board certified?

Is there a website I can use to find out if a doctor is 'board certified' and if there are complaints against them? I would prefer a website that doesn't ask or require a fee or monthly membership.

I do not know of one free website that you could use.  Doctors are licensed to practice under their state board, so you could always go to your state board's website to see what they can tell you.  You could also call them to make sure your physician is licensed to practice in your state.  As for complaints, that is usually kept confidential, so that information would be very difficult to find for free. 

As for board certification- I would call your physician's office and directly ask them if they are board certified.  It is a fair question, and the majority of physicians will have no problems with you asking that information.