Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation

Overview of Ratings

4.1

December 13, 2013

By rracosta

My mother was here after need surgery for rehab. We visited several other facility around and desided on Methodist. I found the staff to be very caring, from the person that clean the floor to the doctors. Each of the members of the staff took the time to understand my mother's need and ensure they were met. I will not hesitate based on my mother experience and result to recommend this place to anyone needing rehab.

July 27, 2013

By Mikey1829

I was looking for a testimonial page on the website but I guess this will be a good way to express my heartful gratitude to everyone at the Methodist Home for the great and undivided care my mom has received since she entered the facility over two years ago.For over two years I was trying to care for my mom practically by myself at her home,most reluctant to put her in any nursing home.When the burden became too much for both her and my family,the Methodist Home happen to to fall into our laps like a gift from above.The admission process seemed quite overwhelming at first but the admissions director Marion made the transformation an easy one because of her heart being in her work and completely understanding what my two brothers and I were going through.She made the process of getting my mom her Medicaid an easy one.Thank you Marion.I will truly NEVER forget what you did for us.After a short adjustment period,my mom began to gain weight again,her senses became stable.and she began to show her spunk once again.The rehab staff and center were amazing and everyone associated with it deserved ten thumbs up for their patience and skill.At 90 years old my mom began to get her strength back.Her adjustment to the Home itself,was rather quick due to the great care she received from the nursing staff,nursing aides,and doctors.Some of social activity at the Home usually has a musical touch to it and this is great due to the fact that my mom associates music to every thing in life as most elderly people do but my family is one from a huge scale musical background of maestros and musicians.I want to thank the Home's Chief Director Maria for always having an open door and an open ear as well.You are awesome Maria.I've had a rough go at it with heartbreaks and heartaches within my family over the past ten years but the Methodist Home took a great deal of stress and heavy burden off my family's shoulders and for this I am truly grateful.If I had to thank every one individually,I'd be literally writing a long book.It's been THAT goodThe nurses are all TOP NOTCH.Thank you Vivian and the third floor nurses, Nurse Jacobs,Larinda,Kathleen ,and the rest of the third floor nursing staff .Last but not least,I call the nurses aides "angels of mercy" because these are the people that do the "hands on" job of actually caring for my mom.They are nothing short of extraordinary and I thank each and very one of you for all and everything that you have done and will do.The patience and skill level that these people possess is mind boggling..I should also mention that even the maintenance workers and cafeteria workers as well are very much involved with the residents' well being.I can go on and on but I just want to thank each and every one associated with the Methodist Home from the bottom of my heart for extending my mom's life and giving back her dignity and her sense of humor.AND for preserving my sanity which for a while I felt like I was losing from all the stress involved with trying to preserve the best care for my mom who is my whole world.In this letter I may have said thank you much too many times over but I will end it with this : Thank You,Thank You, Thank You, and God Bless the Methodist Home and each and every one of you and your families..Sincerely,Michael Maffei

June 08, 2012

By Julia66

The aides, physical therapists and occupational therapists, along with the head of food service, were kind, compassionate people. However, in the 2 weeks my father was there, I never saw a doctor, and the nurses were often rushed and too busy, or verging on the apathetic. My father's condition deteriorated quite rapidly, and I was very disappointed by their lack of motivation by the nurses to maintain a baseline level of health for him. He left after two weeks in worse shape than when he entered. If your elder can take care of all his her needs and is in good basic physical health MAYBE Methodist is an option. If they need attentive nursing, NO. I

February 16, 2012

By tarnia

My dad was sent here for rehab for 4 months after he had a bad stroke. I found the rehab part of this home was very good, but the live-in care was unacceptable. There were some very good and well-meaning caregivers, but in general, I found the staff to be completely overwhelmed or apathetic. They could not keep track of the patients in their care. In the 4 months I was there (visiting every day because I found I couldn't ultimately trust them enough to leave him alone there), two people in their full-time "care" took very bad falls. One while using a walker (unassisted) in the hallway, and one who fell out of her hospital bed - with bars - who had to be rushed to the hospital as a result. Also, there were numerous times I pressed the help button, and never received a response or had to wait over 1/2 hour for one. Many times I couldn't wait for a response and went down the hall to the nurse's station to find no one there at all (with the phone ringing constantly, and lights flashing over resident's doorways). I'm sure they mean well, and are probably underfunded...and maybe there aren't better places out there for the care of your loved ones, but I only experienced this one place (that I had been told was rated 5 stars), and so I felt the need to share my experience. I would only recommend them for their rehab facility, but I cannot recommend them at all for their nursing home care. Despite the excellent rehab staff, my dad ultimately was unable to recover there - I think, in a large part, due to the lack of care and attention. We moved him home to hopefully give him a better chance of survival.

Let Us Search For You

Care

Save Stress

Photos of Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation

Features of Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation

• Fee Structure Extra: Accept Medicare, Medicaid, Hmo And Commercial Insurance Plans

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• Activities Extra: Arts

• Financial Guidance Extra: We Apply For Medicaid5:1

Affiliations

• Affiliations Extra: Non Sectarian

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
    • Ownership Type: Non Profit Corporation
    • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

• Staff Patient Ratio: 5:1
    • Minimum Age: Minimum Age: 50
    • Pets: All Pets Allowed

About Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation

Methodist Home was founded in 1850 offering excellent care for over 150 years situated in the exclusive Fieldston section of Riverdale. Our building has maintained its turn of the century character on a beautifully landscaped property. Methodist is exclusive in that we have 120 private rooms and private baths and offer skilled nursing care, sub-acute rehabilitation - both short and long term as well as outpatient rehabilitation. We offer specialized programs in Stroke Management and Wound Care. The comprehensive care provided by its multidisciplinary team is emblematic of excellence and has earned Methodist Home the distinction of being a recognized clinical campus for teaching in geriatric medicine and nursing care. Residents are encouraged and supported in their efforts to continue their enriching, fulfilling lives with a sense of connection, belonging and purpose.

Map of Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation