Mild to Moderate Alzheimer’sActivities Ideas Center
What you need:
Garden tool (rake, push broom)
What to know:
- Longtime gardeners or outdoor lovers appreciate contributing in meaningful ways around the yard.
- The repetition and simplicity of raking and sweeping make them good gardening choices. There's little judgment involved (as in, "Is this a weed or not?").
- It's great exercise.
- Don't worry about how tidy the job is or whether your loved one goes over the same patch again and again.
- Note that a push broom is easier to use on patios and driveways than a conventional broom.
- Alternate activity: Pick up fallen sticks or other yard debris. Be careful if there's an in-ground pool in the yard; a zealous worker may not be able to resist reaching into the water to fish out leaves.