What is the legal option to get my part in the father property?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
A fellow caregiver asked...

We are two brother. My father has transferred all his property to my elder brother (who is already married).I am still unmarried.I am really helpless Please suggest me the legal way to get my part from my elder brother and my father.Please help me.

Expert Answers

Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in the Workplace (Nolo), now in its 10th edition.

I am sorry you are pinned in a place that feels so unfair.

But here is the hard legal truth: A person who is legally competent"”that is, knows what property he or she owns and who might get it"”is free to leave any and all property in any way he or she sees fit. And that is true whether or not q person is married.

While it may logically feel to you as if you and your brother should each get half of your father's property, this is not a legal requirement.

You may get the best peace of mind on this issue"”and possibly a share of your father's property in the long run"”if you can sit down with him and have an honest conversation about your expectations and hopes while he is still alive.