What do you do after getting a high PSA level back?

Hunbun1 asked...

My dad is 65 years old. He was having his normal tests ran and his PSA came back at 5.5. We are being told 1-3 is normal. He has had two brothers who in the last two years have had prostate cancer. What should he do?

Your father needs to see a urologist for an evaluation of the test results. With both of his brothers having prostate cancer, he is definitely in the "high risk" category for developing prostate cancer himself. I would get him to schedule an urology appointment soon. Good luck.

Llures answered...

I had prostate cancer and did not know it till I had a PSA test two years ago my count was 6.4. I went through radiation for three months had 19 needles stuck up into my prostates two times and so far I am still here. I might add they were to full to take out. And since then I am still having trouble with my blatter going. I would say to every one over 60 to have a PSA test to make sure.