Is there a program for financial assistance to help me care for my husband and still pay our bills?

1 answer | Last updated: Nov 19, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

I am the sole caregiver for my husband, who had a head injury at work over two years ago. I cannot work because my husband needs care 24/7. Is there a program for financial assistance?

Expert Answers

This is a difficult situation for you, and I hope you have the support of friends and family. I wish I could tell you there's one magical place to go for help, but I'm afraid there isn't. But I can think of a few things you should look into as possible sources of financial assistance. This takes a little leg work (maybe more than a little). First, I hope your husband is getting disability or workers compensation. Make sure you're working closely with his employer to get the assistance he's entitled to. (Don't be afraid to consult with a labor lawyer if you're uncertain of your husband's eligibility, or uncomfortable dealing with his employer. These are sensitive, complex matters and it can help to have an advocate working on your behalf.)

Second, you may be eligible to get paid as his caregiver. Take at look at this article, which has helpful information.

If you were working before, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance. If you're low income, you may be eligible for federal assistance. In addition to your husband's disability. The county is usually the agency handling most assistance programs. As well as Medicare and Medicaid, which you also may be eligible for.  The county department names dealing with these programs vary, but if you look for something like Health and Human Services; or Employment and Human Services, and ask to speak to a social worker or intake counselor, they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

I wish I could tell you tackling this is an easy process but it usually isn't. You'll need patience and note pads and pens! Don't give up. If you end up talking to someone who sounds unsure or unhelpful, ask to speak to a supervisor. Bureaucracies can be really difficult to navigate, but it's worth trying. Finally, I don't know how old your husband is, but the Eldercare Locator is a wonderful referral source for all kinds of senior service information, including finanical assistance. Best of luck to you.