What else can I do for incontinence after prostate surgery?

Phil loos asked...

I have had prostate surgery due to cancer. I have been incontinent since. I have had a cuff put in but I am still slightly incontinent. What should my next step be and what to ask?

Linda Ackerman, R.N. has clinical experience in oncology, women's health, and medical nursing. She has been practicing for more than 20 years and is a licensed registered nurse in both Florida and Wisconsin. In addition, she serves as a board member of Breast Cancer Recovery and the Wisconsin Cancer Council.

I would suggest the next step would be to continue to meet with your physician and review your situation.

I will offer some recommendations for talking points and questions for you that I hope will be helpful.

"¢ Describe the frequency, and amount of leakage you are experiencing daily.

"¢ Describe the difference in your need to urinate prior to surgery, and now so your physician can measure the difference.

"¢ Let your physician know if you need to wear protective pads or garments.

"¢ Let your physician know how this is impacting your daily routine and your life.

"¢ Let your physician know if it is more difficult to control when you cough, sneeze, strain or laugh, and or is it more difficult to control when you are walking, running, or jumping?

"¢ Any constipation? And for how long?

"¢ Bring a listing of your medications, including prescription, over the counter and any herbal supplements you may take.

"¢ Inform your physician if you smoke, drink coffee or alcohol.

"¢ Inform your physician if you have diabetes or a family history.

"¢ Ask your physicians if there any exercises that could help?

"¢ Ask your physician if there are any additional procedures to help?

"¢ Ask your physician about an urodynamic evaluation "” a diagnostic session to help determine the nerve and muscle function of your bladder and urethral sphincter.

"¢ Describe any other symptoms.

Men can have problems with incontinence after prostate surgery. Sometimes the leakage is a result of irritation from the catheter that was in place after surgery. Sometimes it is due to weakness or damage to the sphincter muscle that normally holds in the urine. Many times the leakage disappears in four to six months. However, the amount of incontinence after prostate surgery is fairly unpredictable and can vary from person to person.

Lastly, I also think it important to stress to your physician on how incontinence can impact your quality of life. Based on the outcome of your discussions you may also want to seek a second opinion.

Pandora answered...

After years of incontinence my father opted to have an artificial spincter put in. It was a surgical procedure and was painful for 6 weeks after. But he isnt sure how or why he lived with incontinence for so long. Its something to look into. Since it is my father Iknow the basics of what is going on down there but not the whole story.. Look into it. See if perhaps it is for you.

I can tell you that after healing his incontinence is a rare occourance, before surgery he went through about 10 pads per day.

Bostonblackey answered...

I am a 70+ year old male. I had really horrific incontinence after having a TURP. What I did, at the behest of the urologist, was to get physical therapy. KEGEL exercises and that solved my problem. It took about 2 months of twice weekly visits. My opinion is that the therapist was invaluable because she had a machine to measure the strength of the pelvic muscles. Everyone wants to sell you diapers, and you need them, but what you really need is what the therapist can give you. Then you will not need the diapers.

I really did not think that I needed a therapist's help and I WAS WRONG. See a therapist.