(800) 973-1540

Is there a way of getting paid for in home care?

1 answer | Last updated: Dec 08, 2013
RHILARIO asked...
How can my mom get paid for in home care of my dad?

Caring.com User - Joseph L.  Matthews
Caring.com Expert
Joseph L. Matthews is a Caring.com Expert, an attorney, and the author of Long-Term Care: How to Plan & Pay for It and...
63% helpful

See also:
How can I find financial aid to care for my mother in her home?

See all 176 questions about Financial Assistance for Seniors
Whether she can get paid for caring for your dad depends on the state where they live and their income and assets. In some states, a program called Cash and Counseling (or a similar name) allows direct payments from the state to low-income, low-asset seniors who are in need of home care. The person receiving the payment can then use it to pay a family member (or anyone else, in some states) for their caregiving. These programs are usually run by the state's Medicaid office, and require the senior receiving care to have low enough income and assets (not counting their home) to qualify for Medicaid, or at least to be very close to the Medicaid eligibility amounts.

To learn more about these programs, look at the article on this Caring.com site called How to Get Paid for Being Your Parent's Caregiver. To find out whether your parents' state has such a program, contact their local Medicaid, human services, or social services office. To find the nearest Medicaid or other state office that handles in-home care programs, go to any Internet search engine and enter the word Medicaid and the name of the state where your parents live. The state's Medicaid Web site may give you information about the state's in-home care payment program, or at least will give you a number to call to ask Medicaid about such programs. Or, you can contact the Eldercare Locator online or by phone at 800-677-1116. Ask them about direct payment programs for in-home care in the state where your parents live.


Ask a question Ask a question | Add an answer Add an answer